question about shedding

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it the minoxidil itself causing the shed or just a natural shed that is blamed on the minoxidil? Has anyone experienced no shed at all yet had good results?

beaner

Reaction score
Minoxidil can cause hair that is already in the telogen phase and will shed within 90 days anyway, to shed early. This hair would have been lost anyway, but since minoxidil sometimes causes it to shed early it can be frightening since it is all falling at once. I was losing hair like a b**ch when I first started minoxidil, so I never would have noticed a shed, but I did have a shed about a year and a half ago when I doubled my dosage and it all came back nicely. I don't think a shed is necessary to obtain good results, though.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
Minoxidil can cause hair that is already in the telogen phase and will shed within 90 days anyway, to shed early. This hair would have been lost anyway, but since minoxidil sometimes causes it to shed early it can be frightening since it is all falling at once. I was losing hair like a b**** when I first started minoxidil, so I never would have noticed a shed, but I did have a shed about a year and a half ago when I doubled my dosage and it all came back nicely. I don't think a shed is necessary to obtain good results, though.

beaner, you doubled your dosage of minoxidil? Did you notice that during your sheds, the hair you lost had bulbs at the end? i have been shedding like crazy for about a month +. the hairs that are falling out have the bulbs at the end, but i don't see any more regrowth.