Question about shedding

mr_xxxplosive

Reaction score
I know it is normal to lose about 100-150 hairs a day. I'm 22 years with early frontal hair loss and Norwood 2 and been on Propecia now for a little over 3 months.

My question is when you shed hairs...how do you know which ones are miniaturized? All of my hairs have that white bulb (which means they had to go) but some of those hairs are finer and shorter are those the miniaturized hairs even though they have that white bulb?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep. The hairs that appear finer (these are the ones affected by male pattern baldness) need to fall if they are to be replaced by new (hopefully thicker) hairs.

I shed way more hair than 100-150 and my hair has improved. Some were thick and some were fine.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
* Finasteride (Propecia / Proscar)

There have been multiple reports of excessive shedding several months after finasteride therapy. Typically, there is a good response to finasteride to prevent or reverse male pattern baldness. Then, around the 11th to 16th week, there can be sudden shedding, sometimes on a massive scale. The entire phenomenon fits the description of a telogen effluvium. It is a common observation that post-partum women often suffer the same temporary hair loss. In the case of finasteride use, the telogen effluvium appears to be a reaction to the sudden change in the systemic levels of the sex hormone, DHT. Often the cause of a telogen effluvium are obscure, but has been related to high fevers, stress, trauma, medications, etc.

The shedding is generally diffuse (global) and can affect areas of the scalp not usually affected by male pattern baldness. So, it would be common to note shedding from the sides and back of the head in addition to the crown, vertex and frontal areas. The shedding tends to be fairly symmetrical, but will be more noticeable in the areas affected by male pattern baldness, because there is a higher ratio of hairs in the telogen phase than in the other areas of the scalp.

The duration of a telogen effluvium is variable, but rarely lasts more than a few months and there is invariably complete restitution unless another pathologic process also occurs.

As a rule, treatment is not necessary because the hair will grow back. For most patients, there is no evidence of residual loss of hair within a year. However, there have been cases of patients taking finasteride and reporting repeated bouts of excessive shedding. In this situation, it would be advisable to discontinue use of finasteride in favor of alternative anti-androgens.

From the Forum Guidelines