question about telogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium)

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that more than likely im suffering from male pattern baldness, but i have just recently decided to stop taking anti-depressants (ive been on various medications since i was 16, and im 20 now), and my derm suggested that i stop taking propecia and see how i look in a few months. I think hes hoping that ive been suffering from Telogen Effluvium, i know i am. But, my loss is mostly in the crown area, am i just wishful thinking?

i havent noticed a shed in a long time, and im worried about stopping propecia if it helped, so im a bit on the fence as to what i should do. On one hand, i want to be 100% sure that im suffering from male pattern baldness, but on the other hand, if the finasteride has been working i dont want to stop. Whats your guys advice?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Anti depressants are sometimes known to cause hairloss in some people as a side effect... so this could be possible... if you Telogen Effluvium you will know about it because you will shed most of your hair in a very short period of time.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
petscky, i lost alot of hair about a year ago, and i dont think ive shed much since. My hairloss has stabilizied i believe, but its just hard to tell since everyone in my faimly (who told me i was losing hair, i might add) insist that they cant notice any hairloss, but i know im still a little thin in the crown.

And thats another question i had: isnt Telogen Effluvium supposed to affect the entire scalp? the loss is mostly in the crown area, which is another strike against it being Telogen Effluvium.

youngguy, what kind of tests? do you mean tests that measure Testosterone, etc?