Question about the progression of hair loss

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One thing that I dont understand is how tons of adults I see on tv may not have the best hairlines but they still have a full head of hair...
For those of us whose hairlines have receded whose to say that those are just your older nautral hairlines??

Why do people say it keeps progressing...certainly there are 40 year olds whose hairlines dont look that much different than when they were in their late 20s....

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I would imagine it totally depends on the person. If you see a guy walking around who's a Norwood 2, that's probably just their mature adult hairline, at least as I understand it. Even a Norwood 2.5 or 3 stabilizes on some people when they're in their 30s or 40s, I guess. Others, however.....

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even President Bush has not had a great hairline but it hasnt really changed much since his twenties...Watching family fued, such is the case with the host who used to be on Home Improvement, the man has had the same hairline for the last 15 years...Not all men go from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 5 through their lifetime which is why im not sure im understanding why it is said hairloss never stops

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my hair line has never gone beyond a NW2, if that, and I'm 34. As men age they are going to see SOME recession. It's a fact of life.

It's nothing I would have ever worried about.

My problem is that diffuse thinning struck the front and top of my head like a son of a b*tch within the last 2 years - and that is NOT okay.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
At 34 I was a NW2 as well with no noticeable thinning on my vertex and crown, now 14 years later I'm a NW3, maybe a 3.5, with very noticeable thinning on my vertex and crown (although a little fuller now after starting treatment four months ago). There is a difference between getting a mature hairline and having male pattern baldness. male pattern baldness can be very slow, like it is in my case, or it can be fast, where someone progresses to a NW7 before he's 30. But it's likely that if you have male pattern baldness, and not just a mature hairline, you're going to continue to lose hair.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes to both. Now keep in mind that I've been losing my hair gradually for at least 20 years, so I'm not going to regrow a lot of it. However, after being on my regimen for about 6-8 weeks I experienced a very noticeable drop in shedding, down to losing very few hairs in a day. Then I noticed that my hair started thickening, and in the last few weeks I've noticed the beginnings of regrowth. I don't know how much regrowth I'll have, but my regimen is definitely making a difference. If you check my regimen, however, you'll see that it's very aggressive, so it should accomplish something. Actually my goal is to make sure I can at least maintain, and hopefully regrow as much as possible by this summer, at which time I'll probably go for a hair transplant. I emailed Dr. Bradly Wolf pictures, and he estimates I'll need 1200-1500 grafts to rebuild my hairline. I didn't want to bother with a hair transplant if I can't at least maintain what I've got, since I don't want to be doing a hair transplant every few years, and I don't want to transplant hairs that I can regrow. Hence the rationale for going to a very aggressive routine.

Because my hair is wavy/somewhat curly and fairly light in color and pretty close to my skin color, and because of my age (48), Wolf said that I'm an ideal candidate for a hair transplant. I should be able to maintain what I've got with my regimen for the foreseeable future, and I get good scalp coverage with a hair transplant. Guys who have fine, straight hair and a big contrast between hair and skin color need much denser "packing" of transplanted hairs to get the same scalp coverage.