Question About Topical Vitamin C

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
An interesting article on vitamin C and stem cells:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2914589.stm

In an exhausting process, they mixed stem cells with a total of 880 "bioactive" substances to see if any of them nudged the embryonic cells into heart muscle cells.

Only one had any effect whatsoever - vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, which turned the embryonic stem cells into cardiac myocytes - heart muscle cells.

Vitamin C is also known as ascorbic acid. It appears to have hair growth stimulative properties:

http://www.ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts ... 37-kim.htm

P37 ASCORBIC ACID 2-PHOSPHATE PROMOTES HAIR GROWTH

[...]

The growth stimulation of dermal papilla cells and induction of hair follicle growth seems to be, at least in part, mediated by IGF-1 over-expression from dermal papilla cells by Asc 2-P. In addition, these data suggests that signalling pathway that leads to versican expression is activated by Asc 2-P and Asc 2-P may keep dermal papilla cells to maintain hair-inducing activity by regulating versican.

Can higher concentrations of topically applied vitamin C - ascorbic acid also stimulate hair follicle stem cells and produce significant hair regrowth? What would be the necessary mixture of the topical ingredients that provides the adequate amount vitamin C to the hair cells, causing hair re-growth?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ascorbic acid-2-phosphate magnesium salt is what you keep providing a link for. I don't know sh*t about chemistry, but in that study all it said was they were using ascorbic acid-2-phosphate.

Maybe CCS can help?

Riordan

Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
Ascorbic acid-2-phosphate magnesium salt is what you keep providing a link for. I don't know $#iT about chemistry, but in that study all it said was they were using ascorbic acid-2-phosphate.

Maybe CCS can help?

sorry brother...anyways, just ues the search in that link and it'll take you there...i wonder if lemon (ascorbic acid source can do the trick. i've been using lemon extracts before shampoo from time to time)