Question7's Story

question7

Reaction score
I'm 19, about a norwood 2 I think, thinning in frontal and top regions.
Currently have been using 5% minoxidil for 6 months and nizoral 2% for a few. No results so far except a few small hairs a long hairline. Considering dropping minoxidil because of scalp irritation/ Hope to start finasteride this week.

tooyoungforthiscrap

Established Member
Reaction score
I HATE hearing stories of doctors not prescribing finasteride...

Make sure to get on 1mg finasteride a day ASAP, without it you hair will continue to fall out even with minoxidil regrowth. The shed is to be expected, get on finasteride and back on minoxidil and you will probably thicken up nicely. You really should try adding in nizoral shampoo for the scalp problems too, all together these products make up the "big 3" that you will find around the success stories forum.

Shapiro is the hair transplant guy up in Canada isn't he? Go see him, he'll give you the finasteride if your Doctor continues to be dumb. :punk:

question7

Reaction score
I actually had an appointment with Dr. Shapiro the other day. Well it was at his hairloss clinic, unfortunately I didn't get to meet with him but saw a very young doctor instead. I was somewhat disappointed, because i had questions I wanted to ask him. She ended up prescribing me proscar which I was thankful for.

I am going to continue to use minoxidil along my hairline only. I can't stand putting the stuff on twice a day. Maybe in the future I will try it again but not now.

I have been using nizoral for a few months.

I have been wondering if starting on a low dose, say .25 or .5, of finasteride for a month or say might reduce the amount of shed and could lessen the possibility of side effects. I remember reading a post on some other hairloss board where this was claimed. Can anyone back it up, or provide insight.

P.S- Shapiro is not really the hair transplant guy in Canada, hes very knowledgeable and good at treat alopacia but I think Hanson and Wong are the hair transplant guys in Canada.