Questions about minoxidil and Propecia

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
As you can see, I am in my final stages to choose my regime (thanx to you guys). I still have some questions:
First the Propecia questions:
1. If I stopped propecia after a while, will I lose my new hair?
2. During my childhood and before puberty, I was having a thick hair (not now). will Propecia cause my hair to go thicker? or it just grow new hair?
3. If propecia affected my sexual life, how long it will take to return to normal after stopping propecia?

minoxidil Questions:
1. If I stopped minoxidil after a while, will I lose my new hair?
2. Is minoxidil helping in thicking the hair or not?

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
ahmedwk said:
1. If I stopped propecia after a while, will I lose my new hair?
Yes after about 9-12 months.
ahmedwk said:
2. During my childhood and before puberty, I was having a thick hair (not now). will Propecia cause my hair to go thicker? or it just grow new hair?
Depending on how well you respond you may get thicker hair and regrowth. Mostly likely it will stop or slow your loss down.
ahmedwk said:
3. If propecia affected my sexual life, how long it will take to return to normal after stopping propecia?
Depends on the person.

ahmedwk said:
1. If I stopped minoxidil after a while, will I lose my new hair?
Yes, after about 3-4 months.
ahmedwk said:
2. Is minoxidil helping in thicking the hair or not?
Yes minoxidil is very good at improving the thickness as well as growing new hair.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
thank you!

really appreciating your answers.

so the best combination will be a LIFE-TIME minoxidil + propecia :(

Just another question:
1. if I stopped the minoxidil, will my hair go thin again?
2. if i stopped propecia, will I lose my hair by the same rate as before using propecia? or will it be faster? I mean If propecia prevents my hair loss for a year for example. after that I stopped propecia, will I lose all the hair that didn't fall during this year?

SE-freak

Reaction score
ahmedwk said:
1. if I stopped the minoxidil, will my hair go thin again?
minoxidil effect is dose dependent. You will lose any hairs that grew due to minoxidil.

2. if i stopped propecia, will I lose my hair by the same rate as before using propecia? or will it be faster? I mean If propecia prevents my hair loss for a year for example. after that I stopped propecia, will I lose all the hair that didn't fall during this year?

diagram:
you------------>:uglylol:<------------hairloss (obviously having a great time)

While studying the data displayed in the diagram above, think of yourself as being hammered by a barbarian berserker and propecia as your shield. If you drop your shield you fall prey to the barbarian's mood (which is bashing your head quickly or slowly taking breaks and has nothing to do with the fact that you carry a shield).

In other words, there is no documentation supporting an increased dht sensitivity after propecia use. The balding process will continue according to our little barbarian friend's mood. The hairs that managed to survive during the lowered dht period, have not lost their initial sensitivity, so yes, you are likely to return to your previous image(baseline) and then worsen as the balding process continues. Even a brief pause to the process though, in long term, will leave you having more hair than you would have if you had never taken propecia.