Questions About Rogaine

SuperMick

Reaction score
I am 27 and have had thinning hair over the last several years. While my hairline hasn't receded much at all, my naturally fine hair has decreased in density in recent years. I decided to go on Propecia seven months ago and am hopeful that it will help me keep what hair I have.

However, I am considering adding Rogaine to the routine if it will improve the density and quality of my hair. I'd appreciate any help you can offer with the following questions:

1. What effect does Rogaine have on existing hair?

2. What (if anything) is different about hairs grown using Rogaine? Do they stand out next to existing healthy hair?

3. Do the majority of Rogaine users experience scalp problems from the treatment?

4. How difficult and/or time consuming is it to style hair when you use Rogaine?

5. Does Rogaine leave residue on your scalp?

6. Does Rogaine work on all areas of the scalp?

7. Does shedding increase on Rogaine and does this impact all hairs? Will I have to suffer through a period where I look much more bald?

8. What are the differences (with respect to results and side-effects) between 2% and 5% solutions?

Thanks,

Mick

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
SuperMick said:
1. What effect does Rogaine have on existing hair?
It's thought to keep them in their growth stage longer.

SuperMick said:
2. What (if anything) is different about hairs grown using Rogaine? Do they stand out next to existing healthy hair?
Not much they may be a little thinner but it's not like they stand out at all they blend right in.

SuperMick said:
3. Do the majority of Rogaine users experience scalp problems from the treatment?
I'd say no. The few things that some complain about are a litlle itch and some flaking when starting with minoxidil regimen. I experienced this at first but it went away. Then the itch resurfaced a couple months ago and was fixed by using tricomin maybe 2x a week.

SuperMick said:
4. How difficult and/or time consuming is it to style hair when you use Rogaine?
This differs from person to person. I hear a lot of complaints about drying times and greasiness. Personally I have no problem with either.
There is another brand of minoxidil (Dr. Lee's) that has a higher alcohol content and dries much faster and leaves no greasiness behind. If you have troubel with Rogaine or generic minoxidil being greasy, then go for Dr.lee's stuff. It's a little more expensive but it should take care of any greasiness problem.

SuperMick said:
5. Does Rogaine leave residue on your scalp?
Sometimes you can have some build-up but I find that it's easily cured with Neutrogenas anti-residue formula and their T/Sal would probably help with this if it occurs.

SuperMick said:
6. Does Rogaine work on all areas of the scalp?
Yes... I recently posted an article that talked about a 48 week study showing that minoxidil was effective on the forntal regieons of the scalp. I've also had success with finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral on the front.

SuperMick said:
7. Does shedding increase on Rogaine and does this impact all hairs? Will I have to suffer through a period where I look much more bald?
Some people do and some people don't...You won't know until you try. I never experienced that initial shed. If you do shed It most likely won't be bad.

SuperMick said:
8. What are the differences (with respect to results and side-effects) between 2% and 5% solutions?
If you go to the resources section of this site (go to the Home Page first) you may see some studies that can answer this question more accuratly than I can.

Hope this helped,

BHD