Questions for diffuse thinners using minoxidil.

bombscience

Reaction score
Hey all, I know that there are a lot of receeders that have had sucess with regrowning up front, but I'm curious about diffuse thinners. I took a look at my scalp today and I read stories about people seeing new hairs sprouting up, and what they look like. Personally, I dont see them...

So, I'm in my 8th week of minoxidil.... I'm looking for these little white hairs in between my other hairs but i see nothing. Is it apparent that these hairs are coming in on diffuse thinners??? What was your experience, or better success.

Has anyone experience a period where a lot of hairs were shed after starting minoxidil, no new hairs were growing in, and then "suddenly" they started growing in out of the scalp that was newly bare??

Also. It seems to me that after my "shed" i notice the areas I apply minoxidil are A LOT thinner than areas I dont. Is this something everyone else has experiened?

Finally, I notice my scalp inflamation mostly in the front of my head, but not in the other places I apply minoxidil. What could that possibly mean?

Thanks for the help...

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol

ok, let me tell you man, those hairs are very difficult to see. Theyre not too hard to catch at the hairline contrasted by a finger (run one back and see if you can catch them popping up).

As for the minoxidil areas being thinner, because the minoxidil makes you shed it stands to reason that the shedding would be localized.

8 weeks is still a little early. I saw results already but you really cant expect to. Still I do understand the fear that perhaps you're one of those people who has an adverse reaction. I dont know what to tell you either way, except perhaps look into those cases. But I do think its pretty common for people to go 2-4 months without seeing results.

I dont know about the inflamation,. I had a little myself, but pretty much all my rogain related side effects have gone away now

Best of luck, bro

bombscience

Reaction score
flux said:
lol

ok, let me tell you man, those hairs are very difficult to see. Theyre not too hard to catch at the hairline contrasted by a finger (run one back and see if you can catch them popping up).

As for the minoxidil areas being thinner, because the minoxidil makes you shed it stands to reason that the shedding would be localized.

8 weeks is still a little early. I saw results already but you really cant expect to. Still I do understand the fear that perhaps you're one of those people who has an adverse reaction. I dont know what to tell you either way, except perhaps look into those cases. But I do think its pretty common for people to go 2-4 months without seeing results.

Best of luck, bro

Thanks flux, I definetly don't see those hairs on my hairline. :cry: How long have you been treating w/ minoxidil and when did some of the side effects begin to go away?

I'm really worried about the whole reverse-reaction thing. Especially when I haven't seen a healthy hair fall out of my head in the last 2 months. Even weirder is how the hairs that do fall out completely thin out over a couple centimeters. Almost scares me that minoxidil is contributing to the thinning.

I have a dermo appointment at the beginning of next month that my doctor scheduled when he said go on minoxidil. It's really amazing to me how thin my hair has gotten over the last 7 months, expecially how fast it's progressed since I started treatments. I mean really in December there was no evidince of hairloss whatsoever (even though it may have already started).

Not to mention that this "extreme balding" is really taking its toll emotionally. A coworker noticed today and asked me if I was going to shave or do "the combover". Ouch. I dont really care if I'm going to go little by little over the next 15 years, but all I'm worried about is what I'll have come NEXT Christmas.

speedy

Reaction score
bombscience - maybe its because your using kirkwood as opposed to rogaine? :rockon:

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
Bomb,

Your regimine is a good, but early one. You need to give it alot more time especially since you have not been on propecia for a month. Trust the science and in 1 year you will be thanking it. Things will get better, I am certain of it!

D

G

maddoc23 said:
Bomb,

Your regimine is a good, but early one. You need to give it alot more time especially since you have not been on propecia for a month. Trust the science and in 1 year you will be thanking it. Things will get better, I am certain of it!

D

He speaks the truth! :rockon:

G

bombscience said:
Hey all, I know that there are a lot of receeders that have had sucess with regrowning up front, but I'm curious about diffuse thinners. I took a look at my scalp today and I read stories about people seeing new hairs sprouting up, and what they look like. Personally, I dont see them...

So, I'm in my 8th week of minoxidil.... I'm looking for these little white hairs in between my other hairs but i see nothing. Is it apparent that these hairs are coming in on diffuse thinners??? What was your experience, or better success.

Has anyone experience a period where a lot of hairs were shed after starting minoxidil, no new hairs were growing in, and then "suddenly" they started growing in out of the scalp that was newly bare??

Also. It seems to me that after my "shed" i notice the areas I apply minoxidil are A LOT thinner than areas I dont. Is this something everyone else has experiened?

Finally, I notice my scalp inflamation mostly in the front of my head, but not in the other places I apply minoxidil. What could that possibly mean?

Thanks for the help...

Hey buddy, you may want to swap out the Nioxin for some NANO Shampoo.

:rockon:

bombscience

Reaction score
Bruce,

Cool, not a bad idea. On the off-nizoral days i do TGEL and then drop Nioxin on after that to take the smell out and thicken up the hair. How does Nano smell, cause I really hate that coal smell of TGEL.

All,

I was hoping to hear some stories from "late responders" to minoxidil. Meaning, they didn't see anything during the first 2 months, but then some follicles started kicking into gear 3-4 months down the road.

In other news, I'm going to add spironolactone.

G

bombscience said:
Bruce,

Cool, not a bad idea. On the off-nizoral days i do TGEL and then drop Nioxin on after that to take the smell out and thicken up the hair. How does Nano smell, cause I really hate that coal smell of TGEL.

All,

I was hoping to hear some stories from "late responders" to minoxidil. Meaning, they didn't see anything during the first 2 months, but then some follicles started kicking into gear 3-4 months down the road.

Personally, I use TSAL (no odor) and follow it with Nizoral. On the other days I use NANO shampoo and conditioner.

Re: minoxidil, my experience is that it will take some time for results. Take heart and stay the course.

Good luck

bombscience

Reaction score
Right on. I will try that, only problem is I mostly need to use a anti-dandruff shampoo everyday to help with scalp condition. minoxidil is hell.

pangelid

Reaction score
I think i fit into that category. 23, I am diffuse thinning but with a good hairline. THe thin hair makes it look alot worse than it is, even though my hairline is ok. Decided to begin minoxidil b4 anything. Been using 5% for over 4 1/2 months, and honestly I can't believe my eyes every morning, but this stuff actually works (for me at least)

I experienced all the typical effects...heavy shedding which lasted about 4 weeks. very itchy, and flaky. Itchyness seemed to subside around the 3 month, but big flakes are still apparent, even when using nizoral. Once my head starting calming down (less itchy) and I began getting good at applying the minoxidil, the 3 month mark hit, and I started seeing some. positive results. Now, my crown is def. starting to fill in very nicely, and I have slight dark regrowth around my temples. I could prob get more regowth in temples, but I dont dedicate much minoxidil to those areas.

I def. think if you give yourself and your head some time and patience, things will improve for u. Stressing over hairloss is a reality, but I hope my positive experience and those of others will help give u something to look forward to.

Looking ahead, my goal is to maintain hair count, and grow thicker too. I will most likely be beginning Finast within a week, and will continue to fight this never ending battle. Will give results periodically.

bombscience said:
Bruce,

All,

G

bombscience said:
Right on. I will try that, only problem is I mostly need to use a anti-dandruff shampoo everyday to help with scalp condition. minoxidil is hell.

Might want to try Dr. Lee's minoxidil. Might not be he minoxidil per se.

:)

Axon

Reaction score
Bomb, do you have any shiny, bald areas?

minoxidil, and these hairloss treatments in general, seem to be much better at making the thin hair you have thicker and more cosmetically normal. This is my experience and I've had no problem with it.

I was also looking for "new hairs," and I also never saw any. The thinner hair I still had, however, began to thicken up, and now you can't see through it at all.

It took about 3 months before I noticed any change. I woke up one day and it hit me like a ton of bricks - my hair looked better. And believe me, I check from every concievable angle to make sure I wasn't fooling myself.

wrathchild

Reaction score
I am currently on almost 3 months of finasteride, 2 weeks minoxidil, and my hair seems to be shedding alot and getting somewhat thinner.Do you think it is safe to be using rite aid or even target brands of minoxidil, and what are the benefits of msm if any, and how much should I take per day I just got a 1500 mg bottle.

bombscience

Reaction score
Axon said:
Bomb, do you have any shiny, bald areas?

minoxidil, and these hairloss treatments in general, seem to be much better at making the thin hair you have thicker and more cosmetically normal. This is my experience and I've had no problem with it.

I was also looking for "new hairs," and I also never saw any. The thinner hair I still had, however, began to thicken up, and now you can't see through it at all.

It took about 3 months before I noticed any change. I woke up one day and it hit me like a ton of bricks - my hair looked better. And believe me, I check from every concievable angle to make sure I wasn't fooling myself.

Not really any shiny bald areas/spots as i'm a full top diffuse thinner, but after the last two months the spaces between my hairs (especially on the frontal hair line) have become greater and greater. They are approaching "shiny" status. That's why i'm very nervous, i see the area between hairs increasing, but nothing growing in between them.

About the thickness issue, i'm not getting thicker hairs. Every hair that falls out is about 2-3 inces long (from the top). They're thick at the tip.. and they do one of 2 things:

1) They thin out about 1/2 way (1-1.5 inches) through, and then thinner and thinner until a black or white bulb.

2) They are thick all the way until the last 1-2cm where they get REAL thin REAL quick, and then have a small black or white bulb.

Considering hair grows somwhere around 1/4-1/2 an inch a month, and I've been on minoxidil for 2 months, I've probably had 3/4-1inch of hair grow since starting treatment. 3/4-1inch from the root is just about the area that these hairs are really falling thinning out.

Not the most scientific reasoning, but it does freak me out.

Axon

Reaction score
I would have to see some pics. However, didn't you say you were on some anti-depressants? Are you still on them? Forgive me if this is a case of mistaken identity.

bombscience

Reaction score
Axon said:
I would have to see some pics. However, didn't you say you were on some anti-depressants? Are you still on them? Forgive me if this is a case of mistaken identity.

Yeah I'm on Paxil... you think that could be contributing?

Edit: I'll try to take some pictures of the hairs i'm describing and my hairline.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes!! I was on anti-depressents about three years back, and that's when the loss really started in hard. Hairloss is a clinical side effect.