Questions from a newbie

tdawg7669

Reaction score
Alright I am 20 year old male N3. My hairline is too high for my age at the temples. I want to get a partial piece to put in front. Of course I have a few questions.

1)Is it even possible? I mean Im sure people do it, but does it look natural and is it undetectable?

2) About how much would it cost?

3) How often would I need to get it replaced?

4) Would people be able to tell because of the change of going from receding temples to full head of hair?

5)Would it be detectable upon touch?

Boondock

Reaction score
I don't wear but I'm in a similar situation, so I'll give you my $0.02.

Alright I am 20 year old male N3. My hairline is too high for my age at the temples. I want to get a partial piece to put in front. Of course I have a few questions.

1)Is it even possible? I mean Im sure people do it, but does it look natural and is it undetectable?

In theory yes. It may take a bit of effort and trial-and-error, but you'll certainly be able to create an undetectable look. I'm not yet sold on partials, so it may be that getting a topper is easier. But, yes, one way or another you'll be able to get it to look undetectable. With hair systems the problem is not that they in themselves look fake (although if done badly, of course, they do).

2) About how much would it cost?

I think most pieces are around $200, and last about 2-3 months. Add in some additional cost for supplies, possibly cut-ins etc. This is if you go mail order, with salons it's a LOT more expensive.

3) How often would I need to get it replaced?

If you're doing it yourself, some do daily or every other day, but you can get away doing it once a week.

If you go to a salon they might try and get you to keep it in for up to a month.

4) Would people be able to tell because of the change of going from receding temples to full head of hair?

It depends how extreme it is. If you're going from a sharp level of recession to a 16-year-old hairline, some people may notice the change. There are ways to work around this, though.

5)Would it be detectable upon touch?

It depends what you mean by touch. The hair itself will feel fairly normal, but the scalp might not. Generally if someone's properly running their hand through your head there's a good chance they'll realize.

tdawg7669

Reaction score
damn man, I was on board with it until the answer to that last question.

I cannot risk somebody realizing I have a piece. The embarassment from that would be worse than hair loss it self, at least at my NW2.5 level.

I guess Im just going to have to live with my hairline then. Its not likely to get worse as my dad has had the same hairline for at least a decade(although he has the benefit of wavy hair that grows up making it much easier to conceal when long while mine grows straight and looks like retard hair when grown long with my hairline) and Im on finasteride with thick hair as it is. I actually got it cut today, and it doesnt look too bad when its short and flipped up in the front. It means I have to get monthly haircuts to keep it looking decent which is annoying but better than having weird hair, I guess.

So in the end I guess pieces and systems will be my last resort for if things get worse. I guess its good to know I have an option in the worst case scenario.

Boondock

Reaction score
tdawg7669 said:
damn man, I was on board with it until the answer to that last question.

I cannot risk somebody realizing I have a piece. The embarassment from that would be worse than hair loss it self, at least at my NW2.5 level.

I guess Im just going to have to live with my hairline then. Its not likely to get worse as my dad has had the same hairline for at least a decade(although he has the benefit of wavy hair that grows up making it much easier to conceal when long while mine grows straight and looks like retard hair when grown long with my hairline) and Im on finasteride with thick hair as it is. I actually got it cut today, and it doesnt look too bad when its short and flipped up in the front. It means I have to get monthly haircuts to keep it looking decent which is annoying but better than having weird hair, I guess.

So in the end I guess pieces and systems will be my last resort for if things get worse. I guess its good to know I have an option in the worst case scenario.

Well, don't take my word for as 100% it because I don't wear. What I can tell you is that if someone literally examined your head and they were looking for it, sure, they would feel something. But then there are people who've managed to wear for months before they even told their wives! I don't think people automatically work it out.

I feel ya with the short hair, I've been rocking it for a while and my father is only NW4 so I figured I might stop my loss and that'd be that. But...the loss has kept on progressing.

Basically, I'm going to be abroad for much of next year so I'm going to be trying a hair system out when I'm a bit more away from the spotlight. If it doesn't work, I can ditch it before returning home as before. If I get called out on it back home by someone? I'll probably just say I jumped on finasteride and minoxidil. If I get called out by someone in the know? I'll say I have to wear for the career I'm going into, which is true to be fair.

Boondock

Reaction score
Another thing that's worth making a point of:

From my research, the problem with hair systems these days is not that they look unrealistic. They don't, even if a sudden 'change' might be a giveaway to others of what you've done. Things like maintenance and hassle are much more of an issue.

BUT...you have to be willing to tell some people. You might not have to - there are plenty of guys whose housemates and even girlfriends never knew - but you have to be prepared to if it comes to it. Why? Because if you're not, you'll constantly be paranoid and afraid of being 'outed' by someone. If you know what you're going to say and you believe there's nothing wrong with what you're doing, it's not so bad.

Something all of the wearers on forums have in common is that they really don't think their systems are a big issue. They don't shout about having them, but they don't think it's a big deal themselves. That's the sort of attitude you need IMO.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is not a big deal to wear it...you have to take it off every week or so...with a right cut...everything will be fine...there are people who wear it even after they are seeing a sing of thinning...some people...like some actors...don't even think at hair transplant...because they are loosing the density...and so on...take a look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OArivYjr4

and here are some fotos of young guys...22-23 years old wearing it...

Attachments

• toptop.jpg
    toptop.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 74364288.jpg
    74364288.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 245

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
personally being a diffuse thinner on top...I am fed up with that look and I will order one asap...I really need this change even if I have to deal for one week...with a horror image ...me shaved just on top...but I will try to not look into the mirror...or maybe I will get use in time...

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
look at this guy...he is wearing it...looking at his donor...It could make easily at hair transplant route...but he didn't want that!

Attachments

• Gel1back.JPG
    Gel1back.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 224

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
Another thing that's worth making a point of:

From my research, the problem with hair systems these days is not that they look unrealistic. They don't, even if a sudden 'change' might be a giveaway to others of what you've done. Things like maintenance and hassle are much more of an issue.

BUT...you have to be willing to tell some people. You might not have to - there are plenty of guys whose housemates and even girlfriends never knew - but you have to be prepared to if it comes to it. Why? Because if you're not, you'll constantly be paranoid and afraid of being 'outed' by someone. If you know what you're going to say and you believe there's nothing wrong with what you're doing, it's not so bad.

Something all of the wearers on forums have in common is that they really don't think their systems are a big issue. They don't shout about having them, but they don't think it's a big deal themselves. That's the sort of attitude you need IMO.

I completely agree, ofcourse your not gonna be shouting it off rooftops but why be ashamed of it? I mean if its ever gonna get to the point that I really hate my hair then I'll try a piece to. I think I would have no problem with telling relatives/girlfriend. I mean what the heck, people make themselves appear prettier with everything these days. Ofcourse it is of a lower degree but think of foundation, push up bra's even the shoulder thingys (idk the english name) in your suit. Heck my gf wears some sort sh*t inside of her shoes that makes her like an inch higher. Why not? If it makes her happy.