Questions - hair thinning my entire life - now 30

mycowsaysmeow

Reaction score
I notice my hair thinning in college (~20yrs old) and I hopped on Propecia/Nizoralx2 week in my regimen. I got off Propecia after ~2-3 years and still kept using Nizoralx2 week as ~$120 a month + doctor's appointment got pricey for someone with no insurance. Now I am 30 still using nizoral , my barber, for past 2 years) noticed my hair has been thinning much more rapidly and advise me taking Propecia as he had clients with great results. I would say my balding is on NW2 now but there is coverage as the hair folliciles are very light and they don't appear to be like "real" hair anymore.

My question are the following...
1. Will I see lack of results since I took Propecia prior or it will be the same? --- to be honest I don't remember great results with Propecia just heavy shedding but then again I took it very early in my hair thinning stages.
2. Whats ideal generic/dosage of finasteride as I do not want to go on propecia as it is very pricey
3. Should I use Propecia first before adding minoxidil?
4. What are good vitamins/supplement to take as I do already take fish oil/vitamin d.

Thank you.

Edit: not entire life but for the past 10 years.

Last edited:

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1) If you responded once you will probably respond to it again.
2) Cheaper alternatives to propecia is finasteride or proscar 5mg you can cut into 4ths. 1mg a day is the ideal dosage
3) If you havn't started minoxidil and your hair isn't in bad shape then defiently just see what finasteride can get you first
4) None that really help hair

If you have a costco or samsclub near you can get the generic finasteride dirt cheap.

mycowsaysmeow

Reaction score
TD500 - Thank you for much.

For the generic from Costco, do people get similar results? As I have been reading forums and I recall reading somewhere generic wasn't as good as Propecia, is this true or false?

Finally will dermatologist prescribe me Proscar or I need to go to a physician office?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ya look at the success stories most guys here are using the generics cause of the cost. Is brand name better then generic I dunno, but generic seems to work. Unless you have a really good relationship with your GP, I'd skip it and go to a derm for the script.

mycowsaysmeow

Reaction score
Update... I went to my derm and he said he can't write me a prescription for proscar but only propecia. Is this common?

aldo5408

Reaction score
Update... I went to my derm and he said he can't write me a prescription for proscar but only propecia. Is this common?
same thing happened to me i went, so i went to my school doctor and explained my situation and he understood my college budget and gave a year prescription of proscar and its only like 15$ and free with my tuition