Questions on hair transplant

G

Hi everyone, I'm Jeff, a 20 year old and soon to be 21. I have a family history of male pattern baldness - both my dad and granddad are bald and judging from the trend, inevitably, I'm going to follow suit.
What makes the the problem worse is that I was born with a receded hairline, sort of like norwood III without the 'M' shape - talking about a head-start! (no puns intended)
I'm seriously considering getting a hair transplant, I've been lurking in the board long enough to understand the complications of getting a hair transplant at such a young age. Having said that, a high hairline is causing me a lot of psychological issues - I'm talking about hitting the toilet every 20 or so minutes to check whether my bang's properly combed down and the obsessive-compulsive tendency is only getting worse as the time goes on.

So I've got a few questions to ask for those who's been dealing with hairloss longer than me:

1. Will transplanted hair grow on areas that didn't have any hair in the first place? I.E used to cosmetically lower the hairline?
2. I've read quite a bit about FUE and strips and some points are contradictory. Roger's clinic said that strips are best for getting more grafts but from what I read, FUE is actually better?
3. FUE vs strips, which one is better?

Thanks for reading :)

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
protagonist said:
1. Will transplanted hair grow on areas that didn't have any hair in the first place? I.E used to cosmetically lower the hairline?
2. I've read quite a bit about FUE and strips and some points are contradictory. Roger's clinic said that strips are best for getting more grafts but from what I read, FUE is actually better?

hey jeff

lol yea i used to be exactly like that,checking my hair all the time,going to the bathroom at work at least once an hr to see if my hair was in place,f*****g nightmare! 27 now though and that was when i was 20/21,got sick of it actually so i dont do that anymore.

in answer to your questions

1) yup hair will grow (cant remember the guys name but he posted pics onm here ,he was born with a receded hairline and had exactly what you want done,if i remember correctly it was fue)
2)strip is indeed better for higher yields,although docs like armani have been getting 4500 but strip has much more long term evidence of success
3)fue is way more expensive but less invasive-depending on your wallet and how many grafts you actually need will determine whether fue or strip is better for you personally

just thought id give ya my two cents ,im sure someone else will be along to help ya bit more!

on a side note you mention rogers clinic,if this means youre considering a uk clinic then DONT!! if you are going to get such an important and skilled surgery done then really north america/canada is the only place you should go

that would be in my opinion dr feller,dr armani,dr hasson and wong and dr rahal

:)

s.a.f

Reaction score
protagonist said:

Good advice from libertine but he's what I'd like to add.

1.The answer is yes but if your thinking of lowering your original hairline thats a very bad idea, especially since you say that m.p.b runs in your family.
You could end up with a low transplanted hairline and then lose the rest of your hair in the coming years. And you can imagine how that would look!

2. Strip surgery is only neccesary for people with higher degrees of hairloss who need to extract a lot of grafts. You should'nt need that many. If your hairloss is only moderate then you'd be a fool to use up a huge chunk of your donor and once you've had strip shaving your head is no longer an option.

3. FUE is best the only downside is that due to it being more a time consuming procedure its more expensive. As libertine mentioned dont go to a UK clinic the best surgeons can be found in the US and Canada.

For starters get on meds to see if you can halt any further loss.

G

Thank you people for the prompt and informative replies!

Yes (a special thanks to those anti-roger posters) I have heard some awful stories about UK surgeon, so I'm likely to get mine done in the US when I graduate, though http://www.thaihairclinic.com seems to be very attractive... (anyone heard about them)

S.a.f, I can imagine your concern about receding behind the transplanted hairs. I have good faith in finasteride after seeing some VISIBLE regrowth on my 93 year old grandad (he takes proscar for prostate enlargement) so if male pattern baldness comes, I'll put the effort and money to control it through meds.

For the time being though, I need a hairline.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
protagonist said:

Good advice from libertine but he's what I'd like to add.

1.The answer is yes but if your thinking of lowering your original hairline thats a very bad idea, especially since you say that m.p.b runs in your family.
You could end up with a low transplanted hairline and then lose the rest of your hair in the coming years. And you can imagine how that would look!

2. Strip surgery is only neccesary for people with higher degrees of hairloss who need to extract a lot of grafts. You should'nt need that many. If your hairloss is only moderate then you'd be a fool to use up a huge chunk of your donor and once you've had strip shaving your head is no longer an option.

3. FUE is best the only downside is that due to it being more a time consuming procedure its more expensive. As libertine mentioned dont go to a UK clinic the best surgeons can be found in the US and Canada.

For starters get on meds to see if you can halt any further loss.

good suggestions indeed

haggis

Reaction score
protagonist said:

Hi protagonist, if you do go for a hair transplant stay away from the UK drs, i didnt and have the scars to prove it!