Quitting minoxidil shed

lucy923

Established Member
Reaction score
OK guys I got a quick question for you.....Say you're on minoxidil for about 4 months and have pretty good success and thickening and you STUPIDLY decide to quit and 3 months down the road you experience a HUGE shed and end up with less than when you started minoxidil at the beginning. If one were to jump right back on and start minoxidil again do you think it would be possible to get everything back with time or did you just lost that much more ground never to be regained?? :(

I understand the graph that bryan posted that one will drop below baseline right after and then gain some back after a few months of quitting minoxidil, but my question is is it harder to grow hair on minoxidil the secnod time around??

G

I'd imagine that if your follicle is still there than it should respond to the minoxidil again the same. I'd imagine the life of the follicle would be ahead of where it would be if you NEVER even used minoxidil at all but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure as long as the follicle is still there than there's a good chance you'll respond. If you were using minoxidil solution previously than just be sure to use the good stuff now like the foam or the Spectral DNC.

Lesson learned?

Balth06

Reaction score
oooo man, almost this exact same thing happened to me. Except I was on minoxidil for a little longer, 8 or so months when my hairloss was hardly noticeable and then quit using it. Like you, I went through a horrible shed and now I'm left way below baseline. my balding has become VERY noticeable. I'm on the foam now. sh*t I hope our hair grows back!

Energie_man

Reaction score
I asked a similar question to this last week,seems as though if you DO stop using minoxidil,your baseline will in effect become worse,BUT this could be because of losing non-minoxidil dependable hair (i.e the hair that you already had).

I think it's been mentioned before that any hair you had before minoxidil wont be affected by your decision to stop using it.

I'd be quite intrested to hear of anyone who's stopped and started again with minoxidil,see what their results are like.

hairlossguy

Reaction score
Energie_man said:
I think it's been mentioned before that any hair you had before minoxidil wont be affected by your decision to stop using it.

Hey I'm really interested in this. I heard that side effect of using Minoxidil was the hair that were not falling and thinning out would also become dependent on it and eventually all hair effected would fall off once stopped. Can anyone clarify this?

And does male pattern baldness cause the scalp to itch?

G

hairlossguy said:
Energie_man said:

Hey I'm really interested in this. I heard that side effect of using Minoxidil was the hair that were not falling and thinning out would also become dependent on it and eventually all hair effected would fall off once stopped. Can anyone clarify this?

And does male pattern baldness cause the scalp to itch?

I'm pretty sure as well that minoxidil DOES NOT make normal hairs dependant on minoxidil. What's likely occuring, is that when the user started minoxidil his male pattern baldness did not progress. When he stopped minoxidil, the male pattern baldness progressed to reach hairs that were not previously effected by DHT so stopping the minoxidil allowed those to miniaturize.

Otherwise, this would cause people to lose hair on the side of their head if they put minoxidil there. The only hair that's dependant upon minoxidil are the ones that's growing because of the minoxidil.

hairlossguy

Reaction score
Thanks FairTax. But I'm still curious, does stopping minoxidil cause the male pattern baldness to progress to where its supposed to be if minoxidil was not used faster than it would have when minoxidil was used? What I mean is, if I hadnt used minoxidil, maybe within a year or so I go to some stage where you can really see a bald patch. But supposing I'm using minoxidil now and I stop after a year, and I go to that stage like within 3 months instead of that one year it would have taken. Instead of going gradual, would it go suddenly and more noticably?

Balth06

Reaction score
This is exactly what happened to me. My hair went to absolute sh*t in about 4 months after stopping minoxidil. Astounding how fast it happened really. I was happy with long hair and no visible balding in September and now I've buzzed my hair down because the thinning is so bad. I think once those hairs are hooked on minoxidil, stopping it will make them fall out faster than they normally would have. At least that’s what I've experienced.

trevorr77

Reaction score
Man...these shedding posts FREAK me out. I just don't know if I can bring myself to even start this stuff!!!

G

trevorr77 said:
Man...these shedding posts FREAK me out. I just don't know if I can bring myself to even start this stuff!!!

Unfortunately, they do this to us. The shed is much worse on the forums than it is in real life. I had the shed but I'm not 5 months into this stuff and very much glad I started it and dealt with the shed!