Racerred's Story

racerred

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been looking around this site for quite a long time but just joined today to tell my story.

I'm a young guy who's been struggling with hair loss for a few years now. I first noticed this stuff when I started college around 17-18 (started a year early). I graduated a year ago and turn 22 in a 2 weeks. I've used Propecia in the past and couldn't quite tell if there was a major improvement or not, but stopped because of the prohibitive cost and because I tricked myself into thinking that my hairline was simply "maturing" which it is obviously not. As I've been shedding like crazy recently, I got a new prescription this week and am 3 days into my new daily regimen of 1/4 proscar a day and Rogaine 2x a day.

I'm posting here to keep a diary of how things progress with Proscar and Rogaine.

I'd also like to know where you all think I fit on the Norwood scale. Is this a 3? Worse? :(

Is my progression bad enough to consider a hair transplant? Am I too young?

I'm sure it's all been said before, but lately I've been immensely depressed over this. It's so difficult to go out and try to meet women when you're constantly worried about how bald you look. I never used to be such a self-conscious person, but I guess people change.

Attachments

• WP_000385.jpg
    WP_000385.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 206778_1002941037770_1352160032_30028801_6074_n.jpg
    206778_1002941037770_1352160032_30028801_6074_n.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,849

racerred

Reaction score
Re: Hi, my name is racerred

I should add that I also use Nizoral shampoo about 3 times a week. That's been going on for a few months now.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

I feel you man... Wish you lots of succes with your treathment. It looks like it has hit you quite hard, but you're doing the right thing starting minoxidil and finasteride.

antonio666

Reaction score

good luck with regrowing your hair........however i think either a transplant or a hairpiece is the only anwser at this point....you are a deep norwood 3 and also look diffuse at the front and you are very young.......that said you still have hair on the top of your head so there is someting to work with?
really hope you get sucsess with your hair

racerred

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and support guys.

Captain: what concealer are you talking about? Can you suggest one?

It seems that a hair transplant might be something worth considering over the next few months/years. I can do a pretty awesome hairstyle job (much like this but longer: http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/03/31/celeb-joel-mchale-240x285.jpg) that makes me look alright now, but if my hairline continues to recede at its current rate, I won't be able to pull it off for long without a hair transplant. I always wanted to do the greaser look, but I guess some dreams never come true. :sobbing:

So I recognize that many hair transplant doctors wont operate on patients under 24 - can anyone talk more about this? If I prove that I am a diligent Finasteride + minoxidil user, can a Doctor predict how far my hairline will recede and plan accordingly? Or would I be making a mistake by having a surgery too early and therefore need many more surgeries later on in life? I don't know, I'm just so confused...

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Just keep using the meds for a couple of years and evaluate your situation later. If you can still pull of your current haircut / style with usage of meds, you could postpone a hair transplant untill much later (say, when your 30 or so).

racerred

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm shedding a LOT since starting finasteride 9 days ago. Can anyone comment on when the shedding will stop. As mentioned I was on finasteride in the past, but it seems worse now that before. Probably because more of my hair is thinning than before...

My hair is quite long now. Will getting a haircut help reduce shedding? I know I'm supposed to embrace it as it means it's working, but that's so tough.

Also, I can't seem to stop touching my hair - it's definitely making it fall out faster. I am just so self concious, so I keep messing it up to make it look thicker (or something, I don't know). :(

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think cutting the hair shorter will reduce shedding, but it'll surely make it less noticeable (you won't see the fallen-out hair as easily, so you will have better peace of mind)

I've seen some guys here experienced the shedding for about one month. But I guess everyone is different. I myself am a month on finasteride now, didn't have a shed yet (it would be nice not to have it at all). It's pretty strange that you started shedding just after 9 days... Are you really sure it's finasteride causing it?

racerred

Reaction score
Could also be from the added stress of me freaking the f out over my hairloss lately. I suppose.

d1ndOn

Reaction score
where did u get ur propecia from? did u get it prescribed from a physician or did u get it online??

racerred

Reaction score
Took some photos to see what I look like compared to a month ago. The hairline looks about the same, but over the past few weeks, I think I've developed thinning in the bald spot area (crown?). To be fair, it could have been there a month ago, or more, but I had no idea. I feel like I've been shedding quite a bit since being on propecia and rogaine, and from what I could tell, that wasn't coming from my hairline but from my crown.

Crap, my mind was finally at ease that I would progress nice enough to put this off for a while. And while I felt like I was taking care of the battle, I'm now realizing I have to tackle this from 2 fronts. Crappppp.

This is the worst feeling on the planet. Being bald is one thing, but GETTING bald is much more terrifying. Because you can see and FEEL the problem getting worse, knowing there's very little to do about it.

Should I be adding something to my regimen? RU? spironolactone cream? Just feeling hopeless lately.

racerred

Reaction score
Photo I just took... Lights and flash, so a little worse than reality I think.

Attachments

• baldspot.jpg
    baldspot.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 180

jjchin

Reaction score
Hi Racerred,

That's quite a shed within 9 days of finasteride. I don't think it is just because of the finasteride though. Rogaine might be contributing to the shed as well.

I, myself, had the taste of a terrible shed within one month. But at least, I'm feeling better now. Captain is right. Your hair state will look worse before it gets any better. That very much applies to me.

Ride it out dude! Keep using the medicines and take a photo monthly to see the difference.

Sincerely hope, it will work out for you!

jjchin