Randomtask's Story (19 /pics coming soon!)

randomtask54

Reaction score
I've been lurking these forums for probably 6 months now, and i have to say this is by far the best online hair loss forum that i have been able to find :) .

Seeing as male pattern baldness is hereditary, ill start out with my family history, everyone in my father's family has a full head of hair ( i have one uncle with a receding hairline and one with minor crown thinning ) and my father has a full nw1 with some signs of diffused thinning( i'd say his hair loss has completely stabilized over the past few years) and my grandfather has a Norwood 3 with crown thinning, but did not show signs of male pattern baldness til his 60s . My mothers father was completely bald by 30, same with her brother ( they had the same pattern of hair loss, pretty much going from nw1-nw5 in a span of 10-12 years), no one in my grandmother's family had any signs of male pattern baldness. My brother who is 22 still has his juvenile hairline and shows no signs of male pattern baldness.

Over the past year, i've noticed some hairline receding (i'd say im a Norwood 1.5, but i could be wrong) but ive also noticed that when my hair is wet and pulled back, there's a pretty noticeable thin patch going straight down the middle of my head near the natural parting. As soon as i find a working digital camera i'll post some pictures for you guys.

My question is, is there anyone here with a similar type of hair loss? from what i can tell, if i keep heading down this road without doing anything i will be completely bald before im 30 :( but i'm not going to go down without a fight.

I read on here that most people who are diffusing aggressively around my age do not really respond well to propecia, is this true? Should i even bother trying or would it just speed up the shedding process?

I know you guys probably cannot help me without pics, so ill try my best to get some on here within the next few days.

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
You still look to have a pretty good head of hair, but if you notice its starting to go its prob best to get on Propecia, I actually think it work best for diffuse thinners but I could be wrong. Its good you noticed it early.

randomtask54

Reaction score
Thanks for the response :). I just picked up a bottle of nizoral 1% from walmart, gonna start using that a few times a week. Would you guys suggest that i start finasteride now? Seeing as i'm a full time college student my budget is kind of limited. I'm guessing the most cost efficient plan would be to get generic proscar from an online pharmacy (i would really like to avoid seeing a doctor for a prescription since they will probably just tell me i'm crazy) and cut it into 1mg portions. If so what online pharmacy is most reliable? And what is the average cost per year for proscar? (anything over a few hundred dollars is probably impossible for me :dunno: )

I know you guys have probably heard these questions asked a thousand time over and i apologize.

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say yeah get on it, its best to do something about in the early stages of male pattern baldness. People think that I am crazy because I take it as I am in the very early phases myself. I say go for it, dont wait. I got my prescription from the Bosley hair restoration clinic. They prescribed me Propecia which is expensive, I would go with the generic. I have never done the online pharmacy, so I cant help ya there.

cuebald

Reaction score
I don't think you have male pattern baldness at all - I can't even really see evidence of a mature hairline forming.
I'd use Nizoral a few times a week at most - don't bother with Finasteride for a long time yet.

Most young men can see recession from a NW1 to a NW1.5 - NW2, this is normal - called a "mature hairline". I suspect you'll recede into a NW1.5 - NW2 and then no further.

I don't really think you are diffusing either. When your hair is longer and wet, it can clump together in lines and you can see scalp. This happens even on children. I can't really tell from those pictures however. Are you shedding?

By taking finasteride you really are treating an ailment that isn't there.
Take a good picture of your hairline now; take another in 6 months time, come back here then and post them side by side. Then we will have a better idea of if you're receding.

randomtask54

Reaction score
Been a few months since ive posted thought id give you guys a update. Some time in September i noticed my hairline receding quite a bit and just a general shed all over, so i decided to order some fincar from inhouse and give it a try for a few months.

Right now its been about 2 1/2 maybe 3 months (can't believe i can't remember what day i started :shakehead: ) and i believe i am already experiencing regrowth. Ive counted around 30 small black hairs on my hairline that where not there 3 months ago, they aren't exactly terminal yet but i hope they continue to thicken; my hair has also increased in density pretty noticeably. Ill upload some pictures the next time i have access to a camera and keep you guys updated as the months pass

thanks for all the help!

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
randomtask54 said:
Been a few months since ive posted thought id give you guys a update. Some time in September i noticed my hairline receding quite a bit and just a general shed all over, so i decided to order some fincar from inhouse and give it a try for a few months.

Right now its been about 2 1/2 maybe 3 months (can't believe i can't remember what day i started :shakehead: ) and i believe i am already experiencing regrowth. Ive counted around 30 small black hairs on my hairline that where not there 3 months ago, they aren't exactly terminal yet but i hope they continue to thicken; my hair has also increased in density pretty noticeably. Ill upload some pictures the next time i have access to a camera and keep you guys updated as the months pass

thanks for all the help!
awesome news, very glad to hear that. i'm 19 in 9 days and i just started on inhouse fincar today, i hope i get awesome regrowth and maintainence like you seem to be :) keep us updated bro :)

randomtask54

Reaction score
Its been about 5 months since i started taking fincar, so i thought id stop by and give you guys an update. In terms of any regrowth im really not sure, if you look at the baseline photos i have and the photos im about to upload it appears as tho things are getting worse. About 3 months ago i noticed 10-15 thin black hairs growing on my hairline, but they are only 1-2 centimeters long and havent grown at all, but at the same time im also losing hair in the middle of my hairline.

I read somewhere that combing your hair against its growth pattern while wet can cause traction alopecia, anyone have any thoughts on this? For the past few months ive been combing my hair back after washing my hair and it seems that its accelerating the loss.
Dry hair
jsh9g1.jpg

Wet hair
6qb539.jpg

b7z8gi.jpg

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
You don't have a receding hairline, and that "thinning" part in the middle might be just because your hair seems to part left and right slightly there, and it's creating the illusion of thinning.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude seriously. I know you may be a bit scared but I can't see any signs of hair loss what so ever.