Randomtask's Story - (25)

randomtask

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post... I am 25 years old, soon to be 26.

When I was young I had ridiculously thick hair that was totally unmanageable, like I'd wake up in the morning with a huge tuft from where I'd slept, wash my hair twice even three times, dry it, and the tuft would still be there sticking out. It was totally unstyleable with gel, wax, anything. It did what it wanted at all times.

This led to me having a shaved head (#1 or #2 buzz) for the majority of my teens and early 20's. One day I looked at a photo from when I was 18 and another from when I was 22. It looked like my hairline had rise about 1-2cm. The shape had not changed (i.e. no widows peak), it just looked like the entire hairline had shifted back. This started my paranoia.

I decided to grow my hair so that I could cover some of my forehead with it. This is when I realised that between the ages of 16 and 21/22 my hair had thinned in a big way.

I must admit I attribute this accelerated hairloss partly to excessive smoking of marijuana during my late teens and early 20's. I still smoke regularly. I know I need to quit, but if you've ever got into this stuff in a big way you'll know how hard it is.

Since 22 - 25 years old the thinning has worsened. I still keep my hair relatively short. I would say that I am what you guys call a diffuse thinner, my hairline is in tact (although higher than when I was young) and I have thinning over the entire of the top of my head, with thinner parts along that curve (the one from the NW5 pattern).

I have finally decided to do something.

For the last 2 months I have been using nizoral 2% 2-3 times a week. I noticed that the days I use it my hair looks slightly better (the thickening effect of nizoral). Lately (the last 1-2 weeks) I have noticed increased shedding. I am not sure if this is a "good shed", just a continuation of my thinning, or a bad effect from the nizoral. I will keep using it for now.

The next thing I wanted to try was minoxidil in combination with a sebum reducer like dexpanthanol or retin-a. However I am going away travelling/holiday for 5 weeks this summer, and I feel that I would have problems keeping to a strict minoxidil regime right now.

I have always been paranoid about finasteride side effects. There is a lot of scary stuff to be read about them and it put me off. But now I think I have to give it a go and just hope for the best. So I am going to be adding 0.5mg per day to my regime, and continue this regime of finasteride + nizoral for the next few months. I am then going to strongly consider adding minoxidil.

I am going to be using the generic "finpecia" 1mg split in half. I have combed the success stories section and have found several instances of diffuse thinners having great results with finpecia.

Comments invited! Thanks

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: randomtask's story

As a fellow diffuse thinner and hair lossee in general I highly recommend getting on at least (finasteride/min/nizoral) as soon as possible. Don't let the chance of side effects stop you from at least trying (you can always stop if the sides are really that bad). If you never try you will always wonder how your hair would be if you had started.

I put off starting treatment for almost 2 years and I am upset I let myself wait that long. My hair is finally starting to get a little better but I feel like if I didn't wait as long I would be in much better shape.

Also, I noticed you mentioned using Retin-A with minoxidil. I have recently added Retin-A to my regimen and think its a smart choice. I use it on both my face (anti-aging + acne) and my scalp. Only two weeks in so far but I already can see a difference in my face, not sure how much its helping my scalp but no irritation so far!

Moral of the story, start soon. Be patient. Good luck.

randomtask

Reaction score
Re: randomtask's story

Thanks for your reply... I have kinda been putting it off too... well putting off the serious stuff I mean (finasteride etc)... I actually started trying to do something about it straight away. I was using the Nisim shampoo, Nisim conditioner, and Nisim topical extract. I didn't continue for very long. What are the opinions on this stuff? No use at all?

http://nisim.com/Nisim-Extracts/c1_7/p1 ... _info.html

I also had a brief stint with a laser comb but again didn't last very long.

I have been putting off using finasteride for a couple of years at least because I was so worried about sides... now I'm finally taking the plunge.