Rapid recession started at 19

StableButWorried

Reaction score
I remember the morning like it was yesterday, I woke up to the bright sun on my face, threw the covers over my legs, and sat up to stare into my dresser mirror and noticed that my hairline didn't quite look its usual self. I stood up in disbelief of it at first and moved in for a closer inspection. Its amazing how I can pinpoint the exact moment I ever realized I may be losing my hair, and yet balding is a slow, gradual process(slow being relative, I dont think anyone goes to bed a nw1 and wakes up a nw7).

I was mortified to say the least, I immediately got on a cheap regimine with a product I orded called "provillus" which was complete and utter crap. After shrugging that off, I immediately got on 0.5mg dutasteride p/day and 15% minoxidil 1ml twice per day for a year and a half. I haven't been on any treatment since then and thats been 14 months now. To my amazement I haven't lost anymore and I'm still at around a Norwood 2.5 I'd say, and I've read alot of the other guys stories in here and in no way shape or form is my hairloss as extensive as some of the horror stories I've read, and I truly empathize with the "true" suffers of this god awful shitty mess that is male pattern baldness. Nevertheless, hairloss has taken over my life, I dont go a day without thinking about it and I'm not sure if I will maintain what I have for long and the thought of it getting any worse is just too much for me to even fathom.

My family history is somewhat favorable when it comes to male pattern baldness. My father was a nw3 with slight diffuse thinning throughout the vertex and crown when he passed away at 48. My dad's brother is still a nw1 at 60, and their father(my grandfather) still is a nw1 at 88. My mothers father was a nw2.5 with diffuse thinning when he passed away at 90 and all 6 of my mom's brothers were all nw1's and nw2's(mainly due to heavy indian blood). I hope that I'm as fortunate as them but.. the waiting game and the unknown is very troubling. :shakehead:

StableButWorried

Reaction score
scratch that, I found it

What norwood am I atm? I dont know if I'm a 2 or a 3

Attachments

• Picture0012.jpg
    Picture0012.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture0013.jpg
    Picture0013.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Picture0014.jpg
    Picture0014.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 246

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, those are some deep temples. You are a decent looking guy though (no homo) and it's almost strange to see you writing such depressing things and jumping on a powerful drug like dutasteride willy nilly. Then again, when i was 18 and discovered i was balding rapidly i said a lot of the same sh*t.

I am 20 now, gave up on hair loss treatments due to horrific permanent side effects. Have you not experienced any? some guys don't suffer sides on dutasteride and DO on finasteride, which is crazy really.

Your family history sounds promising but i can understand why you are upset as that is quite extensive hair loss. You still look good though.

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
You're nowhere near NW3 and at the most an NW2. My temple recession looks similar and I'm probably an Norwood 1.5. Your family history sounds good so more likely than not you won't lose much more hair, good luck.

StableButWorried

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, yeah I had zero side effects on dutasteride lol, and I never took finasteride. While I was on dutasteride/minoxidil I had very minor temple regrowth after they receded, I'd say I am back to where it was when I started treatment but like I said I haven't been on any treatment in 14 months and when I shower I dont have any hairs in my hand save 1 or 2 so I hope thats a good indication.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of gene testing to determine what level of baldness I would reach in older age with any degree of accuracy. If there is and it turns out I wont get totally horseshoed chrome-domed, then I would probably opt for a transplant to dense pack it up to a nw1 again.