Rate My Highly Multifaceted, Side Effect-free Regimen

ajbrah

Reaction score
I'm not claiming this is the best side-effect free regimen out there for someone who wants to avoid Propecia and Rogaine, but it seems to be working pretty well for me. I've already experienced some slight regrowth in the temple area and in the widow's peak over the last 4 months of following this regimen. I'm NW1.1 as it stands, started at NW1.25. Here goes:

Scalp regimen:
Head & Shoulders shampoo with 6 drops spearmint oil every day (menthol brings blood to the scalp, rosmarinic acid promotes growth and retards inflammation, anti-androgenic in nature)
Nizoral 1% with 4 drops spearmint oil twice a week, left in for 10-20 seconds (ketoconazole has many benefits for hair growth and has a high protein binding affinity, hence the quick wash - have been doing it this way for 3 years)
Extra virgin olive oil scalp massage once a week (olive oil has DHT inhibiting and scalp enriching properties, and massage increases blood flow)
Boar bristle brush massage twice a month or more (scalp stimulation increases blood flow)

Daily diet overview:
Overall, high protein, high fruit, high vegetable, very low refined oil and refined sugar
2-3 bags green tea (green tea lowers DHT)
1-2 tbs raw apple cider vinegar while fasting (thins blood, apple phytochemicals, broad health tonic)
1-2 tbs flax meal (lowers DHT, promotes estrogen balance and binds with certain estrogen receptors)
10,000 mcg biotin (potentially increases the rate/quality of hair growth)
1 tbs turmeric + black pepper + dashes of cayenne, cinnamon, cloves (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich, enhance circulation)
1mg nascent iodine (overall thyroid and endocrine health)
1 cup organic yogurt (protein and probiotics)
Double dose of fish oil (anti-inflammatory, overall health-promoting)
Fruit smoothie with raw kale and raw carrot (microbiome, liver health, etc)
Large bowl of oatmeal with chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, banana, dried blueberries (mild DHT-inhibiting properties, immune system boosting properties)

(Additional supplements NOT necessarily intended to combat hair loss: 5 g creatine, 5 g taurine, 1 g beta alanine, 200 mg magnesium citrate, 50g+ plain whey protein, 1000 mg vitamin C, One A Day Men's multivitamin, B-50 complex, 50 mg chelated zinc, 6000 IU D3)

That's it. What do you think? Anything you'd eliminate or add? Anything you're skeptical about? Am I an idiot? Thanks in advance :).

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're certainly not an idiot, too cautious maybe. I would drop head and shoulders it's bad for hair.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like the sound of your diet. I do something similar...mostly low carb/low sugar/moderate protein/high omega 3. Instead of drinking green tea infused with bags, I drink matcha (Japanerse powdered green tea) which has supposedly much more concentration of antioxidants.
Unfortunately, while I was in my teens the advise for diet was generally focused on low fat. I wish I had been on this diet since my twenties(mid 40's now).
My regimen consists of supplements and microneedling as well as the Big 3, minus the shampoo which I'm considering taking up..perhaps I'll try your spearmint oil method with Nizorol.
As amazing as your diet sounds, I am guessing those who suffer from high DHT sensitivity wouldn't benefit much from it without Finasteride. It certainty doesn't hurt to strengthen a regime with good diet though.

ajbrah

Reaction score
You're certainly not an idiot, too cautious maybe. I would drop head and shoulders it's bad for hair.

I've been mixed about this. I like H&S because it's effective at removing oils thanks to the surfactant power of the SLS, especially when I do the olive oil massage. I also like the texture it gives my hair - I keep a professional buzz cut and it only looks good when I use a drying shampoo every morning.

I just haven't seen enough information to convince me H&S is bad, although I know many people have more sensitive scalps. Heck, I can use Nizoral every day without issue (nor benefit), except for having a dry forehead lol.

I like the sound of your diet. I do something similar...mostly low carb/low sugar/moderate protein/high omega 3. Instead of drinking green tea infused with bags, I drink matcha (Japanerse powdered green tea) which has supposedly much more concentration of antioxidants.
Unfortunately, while I was in my teens the advise for diet was generally focused on low fat. I wish I had been on this diet since my twenties(mid 40's now).
My regimen consists of supplements and microneedling as well as the Big 3, minus the shampoo which I'm considering taking up..perhaps I'll try your spearmint oil method with Nizorol.
As amazing as your diet sounds, I am guessing those who suffer from high DHT sensitivity wouldn't benefit much from it without Finasteride. It certainty doesn't hurt to strengthen a regime with good diet though.

I actually eat a lot of fruit, oats, PB&J sandwiches, etc, so I can't claim to be low carb. I am on board with you about the fats though - so vital. I love my cold-pressed wild salmon oil, extra virgin olive oil and nuts and seeds. Raw almonds always in my car. If it weren't for my large servings of whey, I wouldn't be getting quite enough protein.

Also, I would hop on the matcha train but I get 100 bags of green tea for $1.50 at my local store and that's hard to beat. When I start making more money, I'll get organic matcha in bulk.

Also the shampoo method is a little harsh, I'll warn you. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who tends to be gentle with their hair. I'm brutal to my scalp compared to most people I know. The brief burning sensation is something I enjoy. However, spearmint oil is one I recommend. A lot of people here are trying peppermint, but spearmint has more rosmarinic acid, less menthol, and might be more anti-androgenic too.

I'm 24 so I'm coming at it from more of the early prevention/mild improvements angle, but my dad has noticed my hair (and that my pale Finnish skin stays golden through the winter from all the high carotenoid plants) and he's starting to come around to the diet thing. Personally I think that diet determines most health outcomes, and hair is just a small reflection of that.

One thing I've really been considering dropping is dairy. I could easily switch to pea protein and get along fine.

Last edited:

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a good point regarding burning sensation. I have been microneedling with 1mm, and recently stepped up to 1.5-2mm using a mechanical device..so I would like to think I've got a fair tolerance. The reason I like your method also is because some have reported hair quality deteriorating using Nizorol, possibly because of the harsh drying properties; the addition of spearmint oil might just fix that as well as adding other benefits!
I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy is out.. which seems like a good thing. Raw nuts and avocado are my go-to snacks, but I do occasionally fall off the wagon lol.
All the best with your early prevention while your head is basically full (I so wish I had done this 20 years ago). With any luck, you're probably not even prone to the impact of DHT.

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not claiming this is the best side-effect free regimen out there for someone who wants to avoid Propecia and Rogaine, but it seems to be working pretty well for me. I've already experienced some slight regrowth in the temple area and in the widow's peak over the last 4 months of following this regimen. I'm NW1.1 as it stands, started at NW1.25. Here goes:

Scalp regimen:
Head & Shoulders shampoo with 6 drops spearmint oil every day (menthol brings blood to the scalp, rosmarinic acid promotes growth and retards inflammation, anti-androgenic in nature)
Nizoral 1% with 4 drops spearmint oil twice a week, left in for 10-20 seconds (ketoconazole has many benefits for hair growth and has a high protein binding affinity, hence the quick wash - have been doing it this way for 3 years)
Extra virgin olive oil scalp massage once a week (olive oil has DHT inhibiting and scalp enriching properties, and massage increases blood flow)
Boar bristle brush massage twice a month or more (scalp stimulation increases blood flow)

Daily diet overview:
Overall, high protein, high fruit, high vegetable, very low refined oil and refined sugar
2-3 bags green tea (green tea lowers DHT)
1-2 tbs raw apple cider vinegar while fasting (thins blood, apple phytochemicals, broad health tonic)
1-2 tbs flax meal (lowers DHT, promotes estrogen balance and binds with certain estrogen receptors)
10,000 mcg biotin (potentially increases the rate/quality of hair growth)
1 tbs turmeric + black pepper + dashes of cayenne, cinnamon, cloves (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich, enhance circulation)
1mg nascent iodine (overall thyroid and endocrine health)
1 cup organic yogurt (protein and probiotics)
Double dose of fish oil (anti-inflammatory, overall health-promoting)
Fruit smoothie with raw kale and raw carrot (microbiome, liver health, etc)
Large bowl of oatmeal with chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, banana, dried blueberries (mild DHT-inhibiting properties, immune system boosting properties)

(Additional supplements NOT necessarily intended to combat hair loss: 5 g creatine, 5 g taurine, 1 g beta alanine, 200 mg magnesium citrate, 50g+ plain whey protein, 1000 mg vitamin C, One A Day Men's multivitamin, B-50 complex, 50 mg chelated zinc, 6000 IU D3)

That's it. What do you think? Anything you'd eliminate or add? Anything you're skeptical about? Am I an idiot? Thanks in advance :).
Taurine is actualy very good for your hair!! I would add oral castor oil! So you adresse the probleme with all the angle

JReinhal

Reaction score
Taurine is actualy very good for your hair!! I would add oral castor oil! So you adresse the probleme with all the angle
I was thinking of incorporating oral castor oil as well. Would this be a decent replacement for topical castor oil?

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think its more effective when you do the oral route, it have difficulty to penetrate the skin

ajbrah

Reaction score

I have kept the taurine at a relatively high dose because I've heard rumor about its benefits for hair, and it makes the beta alanine (bodybuilding supplement) work better.

I will give oral castor oil a shot. I've been wanting to try topical but oral sounds like an easier route.

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could do zonc topical
Or dermastamp weekly to

Taurine actualy stop the hairloss related tonstress and it stop scalp bad fibrosis to