ratedR's story

ratedR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 27 year old male. I have very thick hair and fast growth, and no male pattern baldness in my immediate family.

About 5 months ago, I noticed a small round bald patch on the top of my head. At the time it was only the size of my index finger tip. I was due to go travelling around that time and stupidly did nothing about it.
Over the next few months while away the bald spot got bigger, I started to notice hairs in my hand while washing my hair, and could run my fingers through my hair everyday while pulling gently and there would always be a few hairs that would come out. All over my scalp was also very itchy. The spot got bigger, now up to about the size of a 2 euro coin, or an amerian 1|4.

2 weeks ago I went to my doctor, and after a quick examination he told me it was a fungal infection, possibly caught from a pet. He gave me a script for an antihistamine tablet for the itching (which worked after 2 or 3 days), some cream to be applyed to the bald patch (daktacort), and Nizoral shampoo to be used a couple of times a week.

Well it's been 2 weeks now, and there really doesn't seem to be any difference. I'm still losing hairs while washing it. On close inspection of the spot, there seem to be some hairs there, but I cant be sure if they were there before I started using the daktacort.
Should I give the treatment longer to work, or should I go back to my Doctor for a second opinion ? I'm really concerned that it may be alopecia.

I've attached a picture taken a few days ago. Any help/insight would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ratedR

Reaction score
Re: Need advice - possible mis-diagnosis ?

Androgenetic Alopecia being male patten baldness ? I really don't think it is. It didn't thin or recede anywhere, just started to fall out by the root all of a sudden. Alopecia areata was what I was worried about.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Visit a doctor.

Also, check your out relative's hairloss. Meaning uncles, your father, grandfathers, cousins ect. If you find similar patterns, it's probably male pattern baldness but I think indeed this looks more like AA.