RE: How to determine a shed or hairloss while on propecia

NicholasLim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there , i am so confused right now , my hairline seems to have receeded a lot and i dont even know if it's shedding or not .

I have been on propecia for 4 months ( 1.25 for 1st 3 months and 0.5 for the other one month ) and i have a shed ( i think ) around 3rd month mark where right after the shed my hairloss has stabilized .

At 4th month mark , i am losing a lot of hair again , my hairline has receeded a lot and i am afraid finasteride have a negative effect on me.

The question is how can i determine if it is a shed or aggressive hairloss triggered by finasteride? My brother who isnt on finasteride have better hair than me .

If it is a shed how long will it takes for the shed hair to come back ? I lose a lot of hair along the hairline and my main concern is to fill them back in . I am not interested in rogain yet cause it's too much of a hassle to be applied for lifetime .

peterpaul_02

Reaction score
I am now offically on 6 months of propeica and 2+ months of rogaine foam. I shed bad around the 3rd and 4th month of Propecia and the 1st month of rogaine foam. Ahh....not fun. But I can say with in the past 2 to 3 weeks my hair loss has greatly decreased(knock on wood) I can run my hands through my hair...maybe one hair falls out. Its crazy, I play with my hair a lot now, which not the best habit to pick up. Not that playing or touching your hair is a bad thing, you just dont want to over do it imo. But for the first time in 2+yrs I have been able to touch my hair without hairs falling out...so its a crazy thing. None the less....ride out the sheds man. THe sheds are tough. I felt I could determine a shed by taking a look on the shower, pillow case, or even running my hands through my head. Crazy amounts of hair! And to me hair just seemed so fragile, as in if i touched it 4 hairs woudl fall out just like that. Propecia ate a little of my hairline also from the sheds, but if I can get a little growth from propeica and rogaine and maintain i will be in business. So I say ride it out, everyone says months 3-4 are the worst, and it rang very true for me. See where you are at by month 6. If you don't give propecia a whole year, you are kinda stuck with just slowly surrendering to hair loss for the rest of your life...(maybe outside advodart) so give it a chance.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Nicholas I understand your situation because the same issue as you. I'm on the 5th month and im still shedding constantly. Finasteride doesnt accelerate your hairloss its just your hairloss its just aggressive. I'm sure if your not on finasteride you will be loose or shed more hair if you were not. As myself im just waiting that 1 year how it will affect my hair and hopefully it work as well for you. Hey nicholas do you have any pics of your before your started finasteride and now? Thats the best way to compare your hair because if you look at it everyday im sure it will drive you crazy.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dude, same situation exactly. I started month 4 on dec 1. Im 2 weeks into minoxidil too so im shedding a lot. At the same time though im seeing regrowth, its weird but whatever hopefully its a good sign. If your not on rogaine too id say get on it and bring the fight to male pattern baldness the best way possible.