Ready to start a regimen, seeking advice

csp18

Reaction score
I have a lot to read here, but I would be very appreciative of anyone who is willing to read through my first post and respond. Alright guys, here it goes:

I naturally have thin and fine hair, but it has still always been healthy looking and attractive. Around age 16 I grew my hair out to medium length, and it looked great. Unfortunately, my mom's dad was already sporting the horseshoe look by age 22, so I knew that I might be a ticking time bomb. About the time I turned 20 I could tell my hair was starting to thin a little, but it still looked good. At 21, I went through a massive shed predominantly on the top of my head and on my crown.

I just turned 22 about a week ago, and in the right lighting you can see my scalp on top. Also, I have always had a more visible crown than most, but it has become more noticeable. My hair is a big part of my identity and I finally got to the point where I decided that I am going to do everything in my power to save it.

I am a poor college student with little outside help, so I had to bargain shop online. I have purchased Fincar, generic Rogaine (Kirkland) and Nizoral shampoo, or "the Big 3" as the hair loss people say. I have read about all I care to about hair loss during the past month, and have probably learned about as much as you can without going to school for it. I have grown tired of reading lifeless walls of text however, and would like to communicate with people going through the same issues as myself. I have a few questions that could probably be answered by Google, but I would much rather have interaction with people that have experience with the products.

Should I start all three products at the same time?

When should I realistically notice a difference? I have decided I will stick it out up to a full year without results before quitting.

Will I be ok with the generic finasteride and minoxodil?

That's it for the moment. After you guys help me set up the regimen I will begin the treatment and take pictures. Thanks a lot for your time! Hopefully I will have a thread in the success stories section before long. :punk:

Megadeth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome. I don't know what happened to these forums since I was here the last time, but it seems like replies are a bit harder to come by. I posted an intro thread almost a week ago, and with 86 views, I got zero responses. I think it's because I didn't post pictures. I plan to do that soon.

But anyway, your story is similar to my own. I never had the thickest hair in the world, but it was thick enough to spike during my teenage years. When I turned 18, I noticed my right temple area was thinner than my left. By 19, I realized that my crown area was thinning as well. By 22, I had receding hairlines, and decided it was time to do something. Tried the big 3, gave up a few months later, and have done that several times since then. I'm 27 now and have lost a little more hair, but overall I've maintained. I'm serious about the regimen now.

You did the right thing with the big 3. Yes, start them all at the same time. minoxidil 2x daily, finasteride 1x daily, and Nizoral 2-3 times a week. Use the 2% Nizoral if possible.

A year would definitely be a good amount of time to shoot for. Take some pictures to gauge your progress. You should start seeing some results at about the 3 month mark. Your hair will probably thicken up a bit, look and feel healthier, and you may see some regrowth as well. Of course, the thing to shoot for is stopping further loss. Regrowth is a bonus.

csp18

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess I overestimated the activity of this forum...