really how common

BABA

Reaction score
I spoke with my derm who is also on propecia himself and he said he has yet to have a patient come in complaining of sheds including himself. How common is this huge shed periods we all talk about???

barnabas

Established Member
Reaction score
realmfg said:
I spoke with my derm who is also on propecia himself and he said he has yet had a patient come in compaining of sheds including himself. How common is this huge shed perios we all talk about???

What??!

BABA

Reaction score
I asked my derm about how much shedding I could expect and he said he has not had had anyone complain about it to him. He said he thinks a severe shed is very uncommon. He is also on finasteride

G

Interesting, I can´t remember seeing any studies which documented that one sheds from finasteride. Maybe the hair one loses after some time on finasteride are hairs lost by male pattern baldness BEFORE the finasteride kicks in and so many people think they are shedding by finasteride.

P.S.: Just a thought, I am no expert!

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
realmfg said:
I spoke with my derm who is also on propecia himself and he said he has yet to have a patient come in complaining of sheds including himself. How common is this huge shed periods we all talk about???

I have also been told this although the sheer amount of people reporting dramatic sheds had led me to believe that it must be wrong, saying that.. I have been on Proscar for 50 days now and have not shed yet, in fact my hair really does seem to have stabalized. :)

BABA

Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Interesting, I can´t remember seeing any studies which documented that one sheds from finasteride. Maybe the hair one loses after some time on finasteride are hairs lost by male pattern baldness BEFORE the finasteride kicks in and so many people think they are shedding by finasteride.

P.S.: Just a thought, I am no expert!

This really could be the case. Many people dont get on finasteride until thier hairloss is starting to be noticeable. Once they get on the finasteride they keep losing and think it is the fins fault. I do not know I guess I will give finasteride a good old college try..

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
The idea that you should expect a shed on finasteride is nonsense...it's a myth propagated by hypochondriacs.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Skaff said:
The idea that you should expect a shed on finasteride is nonsense...it's a myth propagated by hypochondriacs.

so losing 50% density from my whole head in two weeks exactly 3 months after starting that f*****g drug is all in my head?! Strange that so many other people report it at that time as well...

hypochondriac? mate, this is just not supposed to happen but does to so many people.

nograce

Reaction score
It exists a shed....over and out!

All men arguing that there isn´t shedding are wrong!!!

Look at the newsletter from this forum : shedding

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Listen,

I have continued to shed since taking finasteride from day dot eight months ago and the aggression gets worse as time passes.

Although it would be easy to attribute this as an effect of finasteride, it could also be merely circumstantial.

This is the great problem that we face with users on this forum taking finasteride.

Is finasteride really causing or increasing the rate of shedding?

or

Is it merely coincidental that taking finasteride has coincided with the natural progression/aggression of your hair loss?

I have no doubt that there would be some cases where people using finasteride may have had an adverse effect however each instance needs to be scrutinized closely.

To put my concern to the test I took a one month break from finasteride in the hope that my shedding would decrease however it did not. It maintained it's intensity and I presume may have increased.

It is possible that I did not stop for long enough for the effects of already lost hair(s) to subside/pass. I am not really sure.

After feeling anxious about not doing anything for my hair loss I began to take finasteride again and here I am still on the bandwagon with ZERO results.

Despite the above the following statement is important to note;

Whether you inhibit DHT synthetically or naturally, this problem of shedding should in theory be uniform across regardless of it's source.

If you are not blaming finasteride, you'd be blaming something else.

Although I am back on finasteride, I am still uncertain if it is doing me any harm, clearly at this point it is not providing any benefit however I will see it out for twelve months.

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it is probably hard to correlate the two 100%. Merck doesnt want to put that out there thats for sure and Doctor's just recite what Merck says so they dont get sued.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So said:
Listen,

I have continued to shed since taking finasteride from day dot eight months ago and the aggression gets worse as time passes.

Although it would be easy to attribute this as an effect of finasteride, it could also be merely circumstantial.

This is the great problem that we face with users on this forum taking finasteride.

Is finasteride really causing or increasing the rate of shedding?

or

Is it merely coincidental that taking finasteride has coincided with the natural progression/aggression of your hair loss?

I have no doubt that there would be some cases where people using finasteride may have had an adverse effect however each instance needs to be scrutinized closely.

To put my concern to the test I took a one month break from finasteride in the hope that my shedding would decrease however it did not. It maintained it's intensity and I presume may have increased.

It is possible that I did not stop for long enough for the effects of already lost hair(s) to subside/pass. I am not really sure.

After feeling anxious about not doing anything for my hair loss I began to take finasteride again and here I am still on the bandwagon with ZERO results.

Despite the above the following statement is important to note;

Whether you inhibit DHT synthetically or naturally, this problem of shedding should in theory be uniform across regardless of it's source.

If you are not blaming finasteride, you'd be blaming something else.

Although I am back on finasteride, I am still uncertain if it is doing me any harm, clearly at this point it is not providing any benefit however I will see it out for twelve months.

I think it's just too much of a co-incidence in my case that I'd have slow recession for a few years and then 3 months after starting the drug...BAM! all hell breaks lose in a few weeks. There's no way that I should've receeded 5 cms on temples and a few cms on front and had hairline decimated in a matter of weeks. My hair is so thin now that I literally can't style it when a few months back I had messed up look. No sh*t is this a co-incidence, I've been "Mercked"

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no man, couldn't take it any more. Was advised to get off by drs and also the sides were becoming intolerable.
am considering getting back on it at a lower dosage and seeing if that helps because what other choice do I have of returning my hair to baseline?!

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. I hope that whatever you decide to do works positively for you.