Recap77's Story - (22 / crown thinning PICS FIXED)

recap77

Reaction score
Nice to meet everyone, too bad it's under these terms...

Anyways...always had a sh*t ton of hair, remember haircutters always saying "at least you'll never go bald!" If only...

If I go anymore than 3-4 weeks without a haircut I look like I have a brillowpad on my head, so I guess 1-2ish years ago when a family member jokingly said you have a bald spot, I didn't think about it because they were joking and thought my hair just parted that way I guess...

Anyways, went to the derm beginning of September, took her 3 seconds to tell me I had male pattern baldness (I was like WTF, I thought it had something to do with Paxil, but obviously I hadn't done my research because I never thought it'd be applicable.) My father has a full head of hair (realistically I guess most would consider me having one too). My grandpa on my mom's side had "thin" hair but a full head when he died at 77. My other grandpa is 68 and has plenty of hair, no balding to my knowledge. One of my uncles has crown thinning at 50 but no "bald" spot, and my 40 year old uncle has a pretty moderate-severe receding hairline.

Recently (past couple of months, but especially in 2011), I've just been noticing it more and more and keep obsessing over it, I want to keep my hair! (Who doesn't?) Just hope I can see some progress so I don't beat myself up for waiting. Got some Nizoral a couple of weeks ago, went to get my prescription filled for Propecia, but not a fan of the price (I know I need it, but I want to maybe look into Proscar instead for $$$ purposes, although I'm really just wanting to stop it, so I know sacrifices must be made.) Started Rogaine Foam a couple of days ago, and just need the finasteride to complete the "Big 3" everyone talks about here...Anyways...critique/judge away. Really curious where I fall on the Norwood Scale. No real frontal loss, maybe a little.

hair1.jpg

Just a picture of me from the front, probably wouldn't be the first person pegged with hair loss...

hair2.jpg

Top of my head under normal lighting

hair3.jpg

Hairline, I don't worry about it a lot, it might be receding a little, but nothing crazy yet.

Time for the fun...

Crown/vertex under light

hair4.jpg

hair5.jpg

Living room top / crown view

Some different angles...

hair6.jpg

hair7.jpg

Then the real fun, bright lights!

hair8.jpg

And the grand finale, straight underneath a bright *** bathroom light...

hair9.jpg

It's different for all of us. This is my version of "this f*****g sucks and I need to vent." Any thoughts, comments, opinions of treatment, chances for success, etc. are greatly appreciated.

recap77

Reaction score
Re: Let's see how this goes [22 / crown thinning]

Really, weird? They show up just fine for me, any idea why they aren't showing? That price sounds a lot better than 80-89 dollars for 30 pills of Propecia, but how can I actually get a prescription for Proscar? The derm just wrote Propecia on the slip...

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Let's see how this goes [22 / crown thinning PICS FIXED]

Your hair loss is where mine was in 2009 and I wish I started my regimen then. However it has not progressed terribly in two years and after a couple months of regimen I'm almost to the stage your hair is at now.

and like people have recommended to me, you should get a supply of toppik to cover up what little scalp can be seen. I'm about to order some!

I've seen people on here far worse than us so you should feel a bit lucky you got this type of hairloss as opposed to others!

Oh and if you get too down about it do what I do and go browse success stories a bit.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Re: Let's see how this goes [22 / crown thinning PICS FIXED]

finasteride + minoxidil should fix you up.

Buy some Toppik too, that stuff is a confidence booster as long as you stay out of the rain LOL. But don't get too dependant on it, your goal is to hopefully stop using it altogether.

michael23

Reaction score
i have almost the same crown like you man
and i have posted my pictures too and i am searching desperate for a solution

just make some research before getting a propecia... a lot of guys are not telling you the side affects and most important that you can stay IMPOTENT

so yeah it can stop the hairloss but do you want to expose yourself on that risk?
think about the future think about everything
and also another important thing here is that when you take those propecia and minoxidil you need to take them all the time
if you stop then all you have achieved goes into the water...i am not telling you this from experience becouse i haven't started meds still but i am willing and i want to make sure what i take and how safe it is

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am 29 and my crown looks exactly like yours; though my front has receeded quite a bit more.

I've been on finasteride and nizoral for 2 months. I've noticed slight thickening of my hair and a slight cosmetic improvement. Don't listen to what people say about finasteride; theres almost a zero percent chance you will have permanent sides. The worst I had was a testicle ache for about 3 days, which is completely gone.

I would recommend starting on finasteride, then re-assessing in a year. I really don't think you need minoxidil, since your hair loss is just barely starting, and you caught it early which is key. There is a good chance finasteride alone will thicken up your crown to the point of complete coverage. At your early stage, it's really best to start one tried and true treatment (finasteride), give it a good chance to work (at least a year) then add others if needed. Patience is the name of the game.

Good luck!

michael23

Reaction score
it's his choice what he is going to drink and put on his head
i just want him to know everything what's happening with his organism
you can always find some substitute for the finasteride like green tea or
root of neetle (100% natural)
best of luck

i just have one last question for me
putting minoxidil on my head alone with ketonazole shampoo will it have effect?
without the finasteride...