Receding at 19 - Should I try finasteride?

Okina

Reaction score
Hi,

I am now 19, and noticed a recession in my hairline mainly a few months ago. Due to this I started on a minoxidil 5% course and have been on that for 3 months. I have basically gone from having a perfect hairline to a NW2 within 8 months and the receding is still continuing at a worrying rate.

I've not seen any real progress from the minoxidil yet. Do you think it is worth me trying finasteride (propecia)?

Thanks.

I will keep all updates and progress in this thread.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi im in the same boat as you, 19 and thinning with a receding hairline. My plan was to start finasteride first as it halts your hairloss and atm im happy with the way my hair looks, then maybe in the future (3-5years later) get on minoxidil. However, for you since you started with minoxidil first it is better to stay on it indefinitely and combine it with finasteride as this will likely increase your results. Maybe your just going through a shedding phase though, and the hair in the front will grow back or maybe the minoxidil is only working on your crown as it does for some. If i was you i would just start finasteride and maybe add in Nizoral shampoo twice a week into your routine. This is just my advice based on what ive gathered from countless hours of reading forums.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes 1.25mg a day

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Talk to your Dr and see what he thinks. If he is fine with it then yes get on finasteride. With hair loss that aggressive, waiting can be devastating.