Renky's Story

Renky

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site and relatively new to hair loss.

I guess I first noticed hair thinning on top in August of 2008. I remember using a friends bathroom where they had overhead lights and I looked in the mirror. I remember thinking whoa!

Over a year later, my hair does look a little thinner. Only really noticeable when my hair is wet. My hair line is not receding that I can see, the hair on top just looks a bit thinner.

I am pretty freaked out by it and am actively trying to combat it as best I can.

My dad must have had hair loss as it looks like he had plugs at one stage. It was never talked about in our family.

This week I visited a Dermatologist for some other things and also got her to check my scalp. She just casually says "Androgenetic Alopecia". No real discussion took place after that diagnosis and she just recommended Proscar. I have done a fair bit of research on Finasteride and am just not comfortable (at this stage) with taking it. I found this website today - http://www.getitback.us/ - and even though I have not read all of it and/or agree with everything it says, it sure raised some alarms. Some of it made sense to me, but I am no Doctor and nor do I have any scientific data.

Anyway, I started taking and doing the following last October (I think);

Saw Palmetto - 1/160mg cap morning and evening. Just increased dosage to 2 caps morning and evening.
Hair Skin and Nails multi vitamin - 2 tablets morning and evening.
Washing hair - Using Nizoral every 2-3 days. Changed to natural shampoo and conditioner - I massage while using it. I wash hair every night.
In December, I started using onion juice on my scalp. Apply and let it sit 1/2
an hour.
Today I have started incorporating Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to my diet (mixed with water and drunk during dinner). I also put some on my scalp tonight.

As you can see, I am hoping to keep things as natural as possible. I spoke to a Pharmicist tonight (I regarded him as being neutral and not trying to sell me anything) and he checked out a database on natural medicine and told me that research is showing that saw palmetto is providing great results for prostate related issues. He indicated the results were as good as the synthetic drugs typically prescribed. This was my assessment of what he said. Nothing yet on saw palmetto and hair loss, but I am figuring if it is having very good results with prostate, then maybe it will be beneficial with hair loss. It is a big shame more tests on natural products are not done, but I understand it all comes down to money.

Getting back to me, I have usually noticed hair loss for several years (I am mid 30's now), especially around the basin and on my pillow and at my desk at work. I would not say excessive, but but noticeable. My pillow usually had a few. This morning, I checked my pillow (I have been paranoid since the Doctor made her diagnosis) and discovered maybe just one hair. That seemed amazing to me actually. Throughout the day today, I kept running my fingers through my hair and checking for hair falling out and there was no hair falling out for most of the day. I usually see 3-4 hairs usually. Tonight when I was applying the apple cider vinegar, I had a few come out then. Maybe 10 or so.

I am not sure what is happening here with my situation at the moment. I am really, really hoping I have turned a corner. My hair line is good, I just would like it to thicken up again. I plan to keep up with this regimine for the long haul. After researching Nizoral, I intend to increase usage of that and maybe go to 2%. I have had very bad dandruff (maybe even scoriasis?) off and on since I was young. Lately, this has gotten a lot better.

Saying all this, if my hair continues to go thin I may end up trying Finasteride. I really do not want to though at this stage anyway.

My conditioner is all natural and contains jojoba etc. I am not sure when to apply that now I am increasing nizoral useage.

Thanks

Renky

Reaction score
Last night while lying in bed, I was feeling my scalp and noticed what I would describe as spikey hair close to the scalp (very short)? Kind of like when the barber or hair dresser used those thinning scissors and made certain hairs shorter.

I would not say there is loads of them, but it felt like there were a few in areas.

Does anyone know what this might be? Could this be hair regrowing?

I am very new to this and have no idea really.

Thanks,

Renky

Reaction score
Last night while lying in bed, I was feeling my scalp and noticed what I would describe as spikey hair close to the scalp (very short)? Kind of like when the barber or hair dresser used those thinning scissors and made certain hairs shorter.

I would not say there is loads of them, but it felt like there were a few in areas.

Does anyone know what this might be? Could this be hair regrowing?

I am very new to this and have no idea really.

Thanks,