Respect the instant coffee...

CCS

Reaction score
The other day I bought a small jar of instant coffee for $1.50. It was cheap, so why not. Lots of servings. I almost never drink caffeine. I was just binging yesterday for a buzz during the afternoon. Instant coffee is just more convenient than alcohol.

I microwaved some water and dumped some in. I did not know how much to use or how much I added, but it looked about dark enough and tasted right. Well, I did not feel it kick in right away. I drank a second cup, and then decided to read the directions. It said one tea spoon per 3 oz, which is less than 8 oz. So I got out a big tall cup, microwaved the water, and dumped what I was sure was at least a tea spoon per 3 oz into the 16 oz cup. Again, I did not measure it. I just dumped it in and watched it sink into the water, timing it vaguely, until I felt I'd been dumping it long enough. I stirred it up and drank it. I later looked into the jar, and estimated I had dumped about 1/4 or 1/5 of the jar in. I weight 66 kilos.

About an hour later I had tons of anxiety. I was very irritable, but I stayed quiet and did not take it out on my roommates. Then came the stomach upset, head ache, and more irritability and anxiety. My roommates were unaware of my discomfort, which I had to remind them of now and then. Each time they asked, "why did you drink that much coffee?". Finally, bed time came, and I could not fall asleep. I was so depressed I wanted to die, though I did not want to make my family sad or risk a death method turning out to be more painful than the caffeine. I wanted to wake up my roommates and have them talk me down, but I did not think that was a good idea. After 6 trips to the bathroom to poop out all my non-digested food, and drinking 6 tall glasses of water, I finally fell asleep.

The next morning, my roommate gave me diet advice and food and helped nurse me back to health. I kept drinking water, got more sleep, and feel much better, though still bad. At 30 hours, the caffeine withdrawals are about 95% over. I still have a mild head ache but am doing fine. I expect a good night of sleep to seal the deal.

I also googled caffeine overdose. The highest dose anyone survived from with medical care was 40 grams. The lowest dose anyone died from was about 8 grams. FDA says any single dose over 200 mg will bring grief, as will more than 500 mg in a 24 hour period.

I never want to drink coffee ever again. I don't think I want to drink alcohol again either. It is too hard on my digestive system. Being sober feels so good and secure. Losing my brain is just too scary.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
Why didn't you use a kettle?

I was thinking that...

CCS said:
I also googled caffeine overdose. The highest dose anyone survived from with medical care was 40 grams.

I don't think you had caffeine overdose, it takes sh*t loads of instant coffee to overdose.

However, if you aren't used to drinking coffee, take it easy.

I love a strong coffee, I drink it as strong as possible. You know those huge coffee cups they serve in some chains, I occasionally feel my heart rate going up after one of those. Then I know that I had too much :))

Incidentally, I don't get that with Starbucks coffee.. Their coffee isn't strong enough for me.

CCS

Reaction score
Why is microwaving water dangerous? Microwaving metal is dangerous. As for the water, are you afraid it might steam and the steam will short circuit the microwave?

The reason I use the microwave is it gets it to the temperature I want in just 40 seconds. Also, I don't have to worry about passing the temperature and having to wait for boiling water to cool. I set it to 40 seconds every time, and every time it gives me the temperature I want. Using a kettle takes 5 minutes.

Anyway, my brain recovered long ago. It took about 3 days to fully get back to normal, which required getting my sleep cycle back on track.

I'm still staying away from coffee because of the bad memory. I also stay away from fancy ranch dressing because I once ate a spoiled pizza that had some on it, which makes me think of the food poisoning every time I think of that dressing.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
I was tired when asking when microwaving water was dangerous and am actually thinking of when somebody told me if you microwave distilled water and put a fork in it it'll go bang.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
oni said:
stableforehead said:
Is microwaving water not dangerous?

Yes................................. :uglylol:

Yes it's dangerous, or yes it's NOT dangerous?? :dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stableforehead said:
I was tired when asking when microwaving water was dangerous and am actually thinking of when somebody told me if you microwave distilled water and put a fork in it it'll go bang.

It'll go "bang" if you put a fork in it BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER the time when you microwave it?? :dunno: Please explain what you mean, because I'm completely baffled.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
stableforehead said:

It'll go "bang" if you put a fork in it BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER the time when you microwave it?? :dunno: Please explain what you mean, because I'm completely baffled.

I'm baffled too. I mean putting a fork in distilled water that has just been in a microwave oven. The guy who told me bullshits plenty though.