Richard's Story... (w/pics)

rsa12985

Reaction score
What's up everyone?!

So here I am. Another person to tag on the Balding list. Let me tell you a bit about myself to go along with the pictures.

Name: Richard
Branch/Rank: Army/SGT
Grew Up: Michigan
Stationed At: Hawaii

I've been on and off of this site for about a year now. I noticed considerable hair loss over the last year and a half especially around the temple area. Growing up I had beautiful curly hair and got many compliments even through high school. Coming into the Army at 18, they shaved our heads and I wonder now if back then if I was starting to thin.

Now being 22, I notice thinning on the crown and on the temple areas. Looking back through my High School photos I noticed that I never really had hair on my temples which I'm not sure when I lost them but I had them maybe until 7th or 8th grade. So if I had them, they are gone for good unless I get a transplant.

Family wise, on my dad's side my father, uncles, grandfather, great grandfather, cousins, now, were all bald. On my mom's side some of my cousins still have hair and are in 30's, but grandfather, great grandfather were also bald. So I knew from the beginning I was pretty much screwed.
So now looking at no hope and looking at my future... I realized that yes, i would join the rest of my family and be bald. Until now....

That's where I need some help from you guys. Many of you I'm sure have tried everything offered by the hair gods and figured which ones would be most successful. Here comes the question...

With no prior use of any types of hair regrowth products or DHT blockers, what should I start using to help prevent my baldness? You can take a look at my pictures and see how far gone I am. Any advise anyone could give would be better then me spending money on stuff thats not gonna work.

This site is a great source of information for everyone with this problem. I want to say thanks to everyone that keeps it going and helping specifically men have a future with hair.

These are todays photos after receiving a hair cut earlier. When my hair is pushed forward you can barely see the hair loss. But when I push it back you can see the damage that has been done. The thin areas in front are all small baby hairs almost ready to say bye bye. I'm hoping a good regimen can save these and turn back into the hair I once had.

Hopefully I will have good results and will be able to post updates every 2 months or so. I'm looking at a November deployment so I may have some success and be able to post.

Thanks everyone, Richard

Here are the photos:

RightTemple2.jpg

RightTemple1.jpg

LeftTemple2.jpg

LeftTemple1.jpg

Front.jpg

Crown.jpg

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Richard your looks great , Since hair is curly you can't really tell your hairloss but try propecia since it will at least maintain your hair and possibly grow hair. You can also try rogaine Foam if you don't want to take anything internally . They are different options for treating hairloss but these two are the most common and effective.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair looks great, just take propecia or avodart, or get proscar and split them into 4ths. No need for rogaine or any other topical.

antonio666

Reaction score
at the moment your hair is in good shape ,in my opinion you are a norwood 1 maybe 1.5 it does not get much better than that just keep a eye on it and use a DHT inhibotor

rsa12985

Reaction score
Here I Go....

So I've decided to start using Rogaine Foam due to the fact that it seems, by some testimonials, it works for temple hair loss. Only problem is I have to order through Ebay since CVS and Walgreens don't ship to Hawaii. They don't even have stores out here.

I want to start Nizoral but there are no places here that sell it either. So I'll have to buy it online also. I've scheduled an appointment to see a military dermatologist to see if I can get a prescription for some type of finasteride product. I'm not taking any chances with hair loss and have it end up being to late.

Also thinking about shaving head so it's easier to apply Rogaine Foam through the still thicker parts of my hair.
I'll post pics when I start using the products. Thanks everyone.

G

NO, take Finasteride it works for the the temples as well and you are not even receding, yet. Just thinning! You are the PERFECT candidate for finasteride. Trust me!!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
NO, take Finasteride it works for the the temples as well and you are not even receding, yet. Just thinning! You are the PERFECT candidate for finasteride. Trust me!!

You seem to get more ignorant now.

rsa12985

Reaction score
Here we go....

Quick Update:

Bought the 4 month supply of Rogaine Foam, found nizoral at Wal-Mart, just waiting on the Propecia. Went and saw a military doctor and he said the Army hasn't approved it yet for normal use due to hairloss so I'm gonna have to rack out some CA$H and get it somewhere on my own. Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy it?

I Received a haircut today and got it cut short to see the true damages and make it easier to apply Rogaine. The front has patches here and there near the temples which I'm sure Rogaine could fix but the crown of my head is deteriorating faster than the front where as I thought it was opposite. :eek: Heres a pic:

Crown2.jpg

At 22, it sucks to see something like that. Anyways, I've already started using nizoral and 2 days with Rogaine. Hoping to add finasteride ASAP so I can start truly regrowing hair and keeping it.

One more question.... What kind of shampoo do you guys use when not using nizoral? The instructions on Rogaine says to use minor shampoo. But I'm not sure what that would include. Any help would be great... Thanks.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
It might be a shed, just ride it out!

rsa12985

Reaction score
finasteride

Does anyone know the best place to get a finasteride product with a good price without a prescription? I've been looking around but still not sure. I'm sure there's someone out there that buys from the same store. Thanks everyone!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: finasteride

rsa12985 said:
Does anyone know the best place to get a finasteride product with a good price without a prescription? I've been looking around but still not sure. I'm sure there's someone out there that buys from the same store. Thanks everyone!

united pharmacy

rsa12985

Reaction score
Woa!

HOLY HELL BATMAN! :freaked:

2 weeks into it and I got some massive shedding going on around the temple areas mainly the left one... I don't even want to post a pic it looks so bad. Also the crown has a huge hole where shedding is starting to occur.

That is only on Rogaine Foam as I use it to apply to my whole head. Still waiting on a good place to get finasteride but decided I'm probably going to go with Proscar since I would save money in the long run due to cutting it into 1/4.

I was recommended United Pharmacy... Any others?

Thanks Guys :!:

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
rsa12985, first, thank you for your service to our country.

Why don't you want to get a prescription for finasteride? You really should see a doctor. Finasteride is metabolized in the liver and you should be checked to make sure you won't be overworking it. There may be drug interactions also that need to be factored in.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Woa!

rsa12985 said:
HOLY HELL BATMAN! :freaked:

2 weeks into it and I got some massive shedding going on around the temple areas mainly the left one... I don't even want to post a pic it looks so bad. Also the crown has a huge hole where shedding is starting to occur.

That is only on Rogaine Foam as I use it to apply to my whole head. Still waiting on a good place to get finasteride but decided I'm probably going to go with Proscar since I would save money in the long run due to cutting it into 1/4.

I was recommended United Pharmacy... Any others?

Thanks Guys :!:

It was the minoxidil shed, I had it too.

My hair got so bad after 3-4 weeks of applications I thought I was gonna go bald within 3 months. Things did pick up after several weeks though.

rsa12985

Reaction score
Sup Everyone?

Thanks to Ragin, I used United Pharmacies to purchase my first batch of Proscar. Seems like a wise choice, as cutting it into fourths will last me 4 months. Not a bad deal.

Looks like I'm having success with the Rogaine Foam though. Within the first 2 weeks I had some shedding, but it's starting to grow back in. The crown of my head is starting to fill in nicely. I am wondering why I am such a quick responder to the foam as I just started less than a month ago. I'm assuming there will be another big shed soon so I'm standing by for that one.

In about week and a half, I'll be in California training up for a month and a half. I'm hoping to come back on with being on Proscar for a month and ask "was I even balding?" lol. Even though that's very unlikely it would be nice to say. Until then.....

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Sup Everyone?

rsa12985 said:
Thanks to Ragin, I used United Pharmacies to purchase my first batch of Proscar. Seems like a wise choice, as cutting it into fourths will last me 4 months. Not a bad deal.

Looks like I'm having success with the Rogaine Foam though. Within the first 2 weeks I had some shedding, but it's starting to grow back in. The crown of my head is starting to fill in nicely. I am wondering why I am such a quick responder to the foam as I just started less than a month ago. I'm assuming there will be another big shed soon so I'm standing by for that one.

In about week and a half, I'll be in California training up for a month and a half. I'm hoping to come back on with being on Proscar for a month and ask "was I even balding?" lol. Even though that's very unlikely it would be nice to say. Until then.....

be consistent and good things will come!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
GL man!

rsa12985

Reaction score
Question....

Well let's see....

I've looked around the forums and stuff and I hit my 1 month with Rogaine Foam coming up in a few days... but I see some people freaking out about starting it because you'll have to continue it.... I've been using it in places on my head that has been thinning and now I'm kinda nervous because my goal was once I started finasteride to just apply it to the temple region..

Since I started finasteride, I've been doing just that but now will the other spots depend on Rogaine now since I've been putting it there or can I just depend on finasteride now and just keep applying to the temples?

Anyone got any info on that? Thanks.

PS I started finasteride about 5 days ago...

1 Month Update w/ I think a size 2 haircut (minoxidil) (Proscar 1/4 x5 days)

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

Top.jpg