Rick's Story

Rickmanya

Reaction score
So I am nearly 25 years old. I am currently in college and have just noticed within the past 6 months my hair thinning down the middle of my head from the front to the crown. My hair is noticiably thinner and their is a slight baldspot on the crown of my head. In looking at treatments, propecia seems better for the long term as it treats the actual problem, but it also seems a lot more expensive so I was thinking of getting the Rogaine foam as it's only $22/month. I'm researching products on the web as well. Anyone ever tried this stuff from Jai Bains? I can try the product just paying shipping, so I was thinking about trying that as well. Anyone with a simuliar experience I would really like to hear what worked for you.

barcafan

Reaction score
Get fincar from inhousepharmacy and split it into 4's. You will save a fortune...including your hair.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome Rick.

Propecia is pretty expensive. The trick is to get your doctor to prescribe Proscar. Proscar is the same drug, Finsasteride, but it is 5mg versus 1mg for Propecia. Cut the Proscar pills as you see fit. I cut mine into quarters. 30 Generic Proscar cost me $60 with my insurance and that lasts me 4 months when cut into quarters. Propecia was $77/month. You can also get generic Finasteride or Finasteride made in India online. I like to get it from my local pharmacy though.

Browse the forums and you will pick up on all sorts of little tidbits like this.

Let's see some pics :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Propecia is SO f*****g expensive man...I am so broke because of it.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Londo said:
Welcome Rick.

Propecia is pretty expensive. The trick is to get your doctor to proscribe Proscar. Proscar is the same drug, Finsasteride, but it is 5mg versus 1mg for Propecia. Cut the Proscar pills as you see fit. I cut mine into quarters. 30 Generic Proscar cost me $60 with my insurance and that lasts me 4 months when cut into quarters. Propecia was $77/month. You can also get generic Finasteride or Finasteride made in India online. I like to get it from my local pharmacy though.

Browse the forums and you will pick up on all sorts of little tidbits like this.

You are probably committing fraud by using your insurance to cover your proscar. Some people wonder why insurance keeps going up. Well, here's one of the many reasons.

I really have no problems with people using Proscar or a generic of it. I do have a problem with Doctors prescribing Proscar for male pattern baldness without stating that it's for cosmetic reasons on the prescription slip. To me, this is an unethical practice.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
The way my insurance works I wouldn't say it is really paying for the Proscar. According to the pharmacist my insurance got the price of the Proscar from $85 down to $60, that is what my insurance says we will pay for it. My insurance then lets me pay for the Proscar using my health savings account money that I put in. It wouldn't bother me to pay the full price. My doctor knows what the Proscar is for. I didn't tell him not to put on the prescription that it was for cosmetic reasons. It probably didn't occur to him to do so.

My insurance has gone downhill a lot. Years ago I only had a $3 co-pay on all medications except diet pills and I would assume Propecia. Those were the days. I'm not losing too much sleep over getting the break on Proscar.

The point I was really trying to make to Rick is that he can get Proscar and save money over getting Propecia.

I get your point retro. If you or anyone else wants to discuss this we should do it by PM or start a new thread and not hijack Rick's story, unless Rick wants to discuss it here.

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
Londo said:
Welcome Rick.

Propecia is pretty expensive. The trick is to get your doctor to proscribe Proscar. Proscar is the same drug, Finsasteride, but it is 5mg versus 1mg for Propecia. Cut the Proscar pills as you see fit. I cut mine into quarters. 30 Generic Proscar cost me $60 with my insurance and that lasts me 4 months when cut into quarters. Propecia was $77/month. You can also get generic Finasteride or Finasteride made in India online. I like to get it from my local pharmacy though.

You are probably committing fraud by using your insurance to cover your proscar. Some people wonder why insurance keeps going up. Well, here's one of the many reasons.

I really have no problems with people using Proscar or a generic of it. I do have a problem with Doctors prescribing Proscar for male pattern baldness without stating that it's for cosmetic reasons on the prescription slip. To me, this is an unethical practice.

yes i know those poor insurance companies struggling to pay the bills :roll:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
seriously...