Robbie81's Story - ( 27 /premature hair loss or Telogen Effluvium?)

robbie81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to dealing with hair loss so please bear with me.

Background: I'm a 27 year old male of South Asian origin. About 10 or 11 years ago I first noticed I'd have more than average amounts of hair shedding when I washed my hair. I chalked that up to high school stress because it soon went away and everything was kosher. Back then I had incredible hair density so hair loss was never visible.

Since then I never really paid attention to hair density. However over the last month or so I've noticed that my scalp on the top of my head is starting to show under bright light such as in the bathroom. Also when I wash and style my hair I see large amount of hair (somewhere in the 50-75 range) in addition to hair on my pillow when I wake up in the morning.

Now that I'm more aware of my hair loss it's on my mind 24/7. I'm attaching a few pictures that I took in the afternoon. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether this is male pattern baldness or some other condition that I am not aware of.

Thanks,
Robbie

[attachment=1:z7dw1ery]IMG_0071.jpg[/attachment:z7dw1ery]
[attachment=2:z7dw1ery]IMG_0070.jpg[/attachment:z7dw1ery]
[attachment=0:z7dw1ery]IMG_0072.jpg[/attachment:z7dw1ery]

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 27 y.o male - premature hair loss or T Effluvium?

my orientation on your pictures is a little off but it seems like male pattern baldness to me. of course, the recommended thing to do is go to a doctor and get a confirmation but if everyone else says it's male pattern baldness, id skip going to see a dermatologist, save yourself the money and get on propecia and/or rogaine.

robbie81

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest feedback blink, much appreciated. I think I need to now mentally prepare myself for a future of baldness lol.

For what it's worth, I did notice that the heavy hair loss and prominent scalp started about a month or so ago after a prolonged period of stress. Also a lot of the fallen hair seem to have a black bulb - not sure if that makes a difference to male pattern baldness lol. The remaining have a white tip or no tip at all.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
well hope it's because of stress or seasonal shedding or whatever but brace yourself because balding is tough road :sobbing: id hop on to nizoral since it's probably the least "shock" to your system versus minoxidil/propecia IF you think it's just temporary hair loss. my 2 cents is that it's not but you could wait a month or two. hair loss and/or eventual hair regrowth is a long process since the cycles of hair is months to years so take that into consideration too. you might be slowly losing all your hair or slowly regrowing it (if it's temp).

uncertainty + balding = bad genetic luck