Rochester's Story (Update - Sides already!??? any advice??)

Rochester

Reaction score
Hey HairLossTalk.com
So after about a years worth of indecision I finally took the plunge and got on finasteride (0.5 mg finpecia ED) 3 days ago, largely thanks to reading this forum over and over and over again and my hair slowly but surely getting worse over that year. So far no noticeable side effects or results but obviously it's only been 3 days. I've also been using nizoral 1% for about a year already, good stuff. It feels really good to be finally doing something about my hairloss and not just trying to will it away or messing about with supplements on a hunch and what not..

Hair Situation
I'm 23 and judging from past photos my hair started to go around 20-21, so I've caught it quite early, even still both of my uncle's on my mum's side were about Norwood 6s by about 40, so I thought I'd better start on treatment so I can at least keep what I have. My Dad's side is so-so but i think i definately take after my uncles with regard to hair type. My hair is actually really weird, it's still really thick everywhere (sides and back more so), it's just my hairline and temples that are a bit f*cked, bout Norwood 2.5 i think. Crown is fine and i have decent coverage when I style my hair it's just when i pull it back against the hairline that you can tell it's definitely going. I've also got a very big forehead anyway which dosn't help.

I've taken some baseline pics that I will post once I get my computer fixed and i hopefully update this post with any progress every 3 months or so. I'm going to give the treatment about 15 months to do its thing, barring any sudden Telogen Effluvium or an unbearable side (touch wood :woot: ). My goal is to maintain what i have and hopefully thicken up what i've got for the next couple of years. Not gonna use minoxidil just yet but will see after 15 months. Also only taking 0.5 mg of finasteride as i want to make the meds I've bought last a bit longer. Got generic finpecia from united pharmacies UK which i believe to be legit.

Anyway I'm going to try not to think about my hair and avoid hairloss forums for a bit whilst the finasteride kicks in so will update every 3 months.... will put pics up soon..

Rochester

Reaction score
I know I said I was gonna try to avoid the forums but woke up on day 4 with a couple of sides. No morning wood, Libido not good, and basically ED. Also i had this tingling feeling in my prostate all day. So obviously I'm a bit worried. Day 5 (today) nothing has changed and I haven't taken any finasteride for today yet.

Really pissed off, wasn't expecting to be in that 2% or for sides to show up so fast, but more so concerned about how to reverse the sides. Gonna get off the finasteride and hopefully everything goes back to normal. maybe start again later at a lower dose...

At this point I don't feel comfortable 'riding out' the sides. I'm pretty much self-medicating at the moment and don't have access to a knowledgeable doctor , so if things get worse I'm screwed.

This sucks, four days on 0.5 mg? what the hell?

So 'quitting finasteride' do I just quit cold turkey? I've read somewhere on the forum that it's better to 'taper off' but I've only taken 2 1 mg pills over the 4 days? Thanks in advance..

Ps. None of this has been 'in my mind' or the 'nocebo' effect, I'm a very rational person and just basing this on the physical side effects I've noticed (namely ED, no morning erection)..

mike_b

Reaction score
Something similar happened to me for the first couple of days on finasteride, then my libido jumped through the roof and still hasn't come down.

If you decide to wait out a bit, let us know what happens.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mike_b said:
Something similar happened to me for the first couple of days on finasteride, then my libido jumped through the roof and still hasn't come down.

If you decide to wait out a bit, let us know what happens.

Woot? Your libido got so scared that it jumped away and dont dare to come back?! :shock: Maybe if you come with some promises of some soft strokes...