Rogaine is making me go bald!

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
Well sort of. I've been using minoxidil 2% for about 5 months now. I always used it pretty sparingly around my hairline because of the itchiness. It seemed to be doing absolutely nothing for me.
So about 3 weeks ago I upped the amount I use at one time. Probably brought it up to the the amount I was supposed to be using. I started going a little father back from my trouble area and applying forward.
Anyway, long story, short. Itchy, redness, swelling, tenderness etc. ensued. I've scratched so much goddamned hair out of my head it's ridiculous.
Enough with this sh*t. I now have a prescription for finasteride. I'm no longer looking to gain just maintain what I have and grow it a little longer. While I save for a mild transplant.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
its a normal reaction. I had a similar side effects. it should go away with time. if it doesn't then stop use.

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
it's been off and on since I started using it. This was the final straw. I've been off it for about a week and most of the scratched out hair has grown back as well as some hair I lost a few months ago.
I plan to use the rest of the bottle sparingly, just so it doesn't go to waste. After getting on finasteride, I'm going to try to hunt doen some rogaine foam.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
so many f*****g whinning babies here. Try to realize shedding is part of the recovery for fucks sake.

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm how about you go f*ck yourself.
Read my entire post you dumb sh*t. The hair was not falling out, I was scratching it out. The area in which i applied the rogaine became very red, swollen and painful to touch. This is not normal.
It was so bad I was scratching myself in my sleep and would wake up in a lot of pain. It was so bad I couldn't apply shampoo to the area, and even had a hard time wearing a hat.
Personally I now think liquid rogaine is garbage. I don't care if I'm a rare case, it shouldn't have happened. period. It was very unpleasant!

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
A little update on this.....
I hadn't used any rogaine in about a week in a half, I figured it'd be enough time to heal completely.
2 nights ago as I was going to bed I figured I'd give it one last go and sparingly applied a little to my hairline. Went to bed. Woke up at around 4:30 in th morning with my scalp burning and itchy beyond beleif. Had to completely wash my hair, which was fun when I had to get up at 7 for work.
Has anyone ever had a similiar experience.
I've heard that the foam doesn't cause any discomfort but I've had a hell of a time trying to find some around here.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
it's been off and on since I started using it. This was the final straw. I've been off it for about a week and most of the scratched out hair has grown back as well as some hair I lost a few months ago.
I plan to use the rest of the bottle sparingly, just so it doesn't go to waste. After getting on finasteride, I'm going to try to hunt doen some rogaine foam.

A week? I wouldn't suspect to see hair growing back after a week unless you have brittle hair and you actually "broke" your hair. I suspect this is other hairs growing back or hair induced by the minoxidil. You must realize that any hair you grew with minoxidil will fall out in the next couple months.

If you're having a hard time finding Rogaine Foam, I would check out eBay.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
Hmmmm how about you go f*ck yourself.
Read my entire post you dumb $#iT. The hair was not falling out, I was scratching it out. The area in which i applied the rogaine became very red, swollen and painful to touch. This is not normal.
It was so bad I was scratching myself in my sleep and would wake up in a lot of pain. It was so bad I couldn't apply shampoo to the area, and even had a hard time wearing a hat.
Personally I now think liquid rogaine is garbage. I don't care if I'm a rare case, it shouldn't have happened. period. It was very unpleasant!

You have no understanding of how the foam works at all. Instead of spending your time whinning, why dont you read the sticky and learn something from it?

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Used to use Spectral DNC and had no adverse reaction.

If you get a bad reaction like yours stop immediately and try a different one such as foam or Spectral. If they react then stop..its not worth your bad reaction...Bad reactions in my opinion mean it isn't going to work anyway. They say no pain no gain but there is no guarantee of gain and if pain is too much then not worth it...

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
You have no understanding of how the foam works at all. Instead of spending your time whinning, why dont you read the sticky and learn something from it

Heres an idea....why don't you just stay the hell outta my posts.
I could care less how any of this stuff works, just if it does work. I've heard that the foam doen't leave a residue on the scalp, which I would imagine was my problem.
I am allergic to something in the mixture, more than likely the achohol.
I dunno where I will go from here. I am no longer so itchy that I am scatching myself to pieces so yes the hair seems to be growing back.
All in all the minoxidil was doing nothing for me, I would shed and the shed hair would eventually grow back, no new regrowth.
I am content with my hairline as it is, I will just grow it a bit longer. Until it gets worse I am done with all treaments except Nioxin, Biotin, Vitimin C, and MSM. Possibly a mild transplant to repair a hairline that was screwed up from birth.