Rogaine is working, so can I get a transplant now?

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using rogaine foam for the past 3 months and I am seeing the darkening of vellous hairs in my temples. I have quite a lot of them now and although they have not made a significant cosmetic improvement, they do show that rogaine is having an effect.

I am wondering if the new hairs means the stablilization of my hairloss. Also, does rogaine usually work indefinitely or is it common to build up a tolerance to it? Ultimately, I would like your thoughts on how much safer it is now to get a transplant that I know rogaine is working.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In three months time after i started rogaine i experienced incredibly good results. 3 months later the results started to faint although i never dropped to anything worse than baseline. About a year after i first started i was quite good but then i stopped for about 2 months and i reached the worst state i have ever seen my hair in. Now i am on again and i can see some of the results comming back.

To sum up, i dont think rogaine can stabilize your hair loss to an extent that you could feel "safe" to have a hair transplant. I would much rather think of that for propecia.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I should wait till I know HM is gonna happen and then hope that rogaine will stablize until it is proven and affordable

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
If Rogaine is working for you, I'd encourage you to stay on it and see if it DOES produce cosmetically significant results over an extended timeframe. For some guys, it definitely does.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Optimist said:
I have been using rogaine foam for the past 3 months and I am seeing the darkening of vellous hairs in my temples. I have quite a lot of them now and although they have not made a significant cosmetic improvement, they do show that rogaine is having an effect.

I am wondering if the new hairs means the stablilization of my hairloss. Also, does rogaine usually work indefinitely or is it common to build up a tolerance to it? Ultimately, I would like your thoughts on how much safer it is now to get a transplant that I know rogaine is working.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Why not continue to use the rogaine and add propecia to see how much regrowth you can get over the next year then make a decision. I was turned down for a hair transplant at age 25 and I had it done at age 30. After 5 years on Rogaine and 3 years on Propecia I had way more hair than when I walked in the office 5 years earlier.

You might want to go for a consult now and get some phots taken so you have som quality photos under the same lighting to compare.

G

Guys, remember one very important thing. DHT is the culprit that drives the progression of male pattern baldness. Rogaine or any other minoxidil product does not inhibit DHT. Only finasteride and dutasteride can effectively inhibit DHT.

Don't let that discourage you from using minoxidil, but the real key is dealing with the source of the problem. Until we successfully do that, our hairloss will progress.

I use both minoxidil and finasteride and I know many, many guys that do as well.