Rolling out your own minoxidil with azelaic acid?

Thinning hair

Reaction score
Long time lurker and 1st time poster, and I have to say this Thank you fellow MPBer for helping me against the tide of male pattern baldness on my scalp.

So I have be using Xandrox15 for quite awhile and thought it's becoming too costly for long-term usage. So I was wondering if it's really of any good to make your own min with azelaic acid? I know that I can buy azelaic acid from bio chemical suppliers and will be more then happy to sell me some azelaic acid salt or solution.

I'm too scare to try out that genhair.com stuff, as FDA does not regulate them. Therefore I feel that I can control the product I use if I just Generic 5% Minoxidil and add my own pure azelaic acid in it. I understand how to calculate the proper amount I should put in the Minoxidil mixture, and will not put too much acid in it. Now if I add the azelaic in the min, I get a topical DHT inhibitor with Potassium channel opener (hair growth Stimulant) with 1/3 of the cost from retailers.

So what do u guys think? Crazy or do-able?

I know this idea probably crossed in you mind sometime, but is it wise to do such a thing or keep on paying Dr.Lee for his “Good Stuffâ€￾?

I know too Dr.Lee’s stuffs are quick drying too, compare to the generic stuff.

Thank you for any input or commends

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I don't think it's crazy, I just don't know how to do it. I wish I could help you but I can't.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinning hair said:
So I have be using Xandrox15 for quite awhile and thought it's becoming too costly for long-term usage. So I was wondering if it's really of any good to make your own min with azelaic acid? I know that I can buy azelaic acid from bio chemical suppliers and will be more then happy to sell me some azelaic acid salt or solution.

You don't want a "salt" or a "solution" of azelaic acid. You want pure azelaic acid.

Thinning hair said:
So what do u guys think? Crazy or do-able?

I know this idea probably crossed in you mind sometime, but is it wise to do such a thing or keep on paying Dr.Lee for his “Good Stuffâ€￾?

I think it's doable, and I also think it's crazy! :)

I'm not a big fan of topical azelaic acid, whether you get it through Dr. Lee's products or your own topical concoctions. As I've mentioned several times on this and other hairloss forums, there is no in vivo evidence that topical azelaic acid works as a 5a-reductase inhibitor. In fact, there is actually some indirect evidence that it does NOT work that way. My advice to you is to save your money.

Bryan

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the research forum read tretinoin study. It turns out that azelaic acid topically is beneficial regardless. It has impact on gf-3 of hair cells. The salt may be worthy to try. I thought you needed a business license to order through labs?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you think you can do it right there's no reason not to.

Many people on here make up there own topicals.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
global said:

You can purchase the Az Acid cream in a tube easily enough. Maybe try applying a very thin layer of the cream to your scalp, let it sit for, Oh, I don't know 1/2 hour, and then apply minoxidil on top?

People use that method w/ Retin-A cream anyway.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
global said:

You can purchase the Az Acid cream in a tube easily enough. Maybe try applying a very thin layer of the cream to your scalp, let it sit for, Oh, I don't know 1/2 hour, and then apply minoxidil on top?

People use that method w/ Retin-A cream anyway.
I didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
In the research forum read tretinoin study. It turns out that azelaic acid topically is beneficial regardless. It has impact on gf-3 of hair cells.

I did a search, but couldn't find the study. Can you provide a link, or at least tell me PRECISELY how to find it?

Bryan

Viper5

Reaction score
What is the percentage that people have been generally using for the retin-a and azelaic acid?