Rs173's Story - (20/ hair loss, but a strange pattern maybe)

rs173

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been suffering from hair loss (according to my barber) since I was 17/18, but about 8 months ago it got to be bad enough where I decided to shave it all off (friends picking on me, particularly under bright lights or while playing soccer). Right now I maintain it buzzed short every morning with no blade guard, and I'm generally okay with it, but I would really like to have my hair back (only 20, after all). My hair loss goes in a really strange pattern, that mimics that of my dad's in some parts, but seems unlike male pattern baldness in others.

My pattern is as shown below:

zn56r.jpg

plprF.jpg

Note: that's my left side, but reflected since it was a webcam shot...

I have kind of a diffuse pattern, that runs all the way from my hairline all the way to my vertex. However, it's strongly biased toward one side. On my left side, the pattern is pretty visible, but if someone looks at me from my right, I actually look like I have no hair loss at all. As I've marked, I've also lost hair in the back left corner of my scalp, and on the left side side burns. The camera that I used (shitty webcam in a poorly lit room) doesn't do the damage justice pictorically...

Additionally, I've also been getting rashes on my head. I've had one that flakes like hell on the very back of my head right above my neck that I've had for months. I noticed two days ago that I know have a darker spot, rash-looking thing next to my vertex, too.

Currently, I take 1.2 mg finasteride a day (8-9 months in or so), 1 mL twice daily of min (4-5 months in), and use nizoral 2% every 2 or 3 days or so. I am not sure if the medicine has helped me or not. I don't think anything's gotten worse, but I haven't really noticed improvement either.

I was wondering if you folks had any ideas... Do I have male pattern baldness (as I'm pretty sure that I do)? Is it being agitated or furthered by some sort of bacterial infection? Why hasn't nizoral taken care of it? Should I just get used to being bald? Should I jump to dutasteride?

Thanks, everyone, for your advice!

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 20 years old - hair loss, but in a strange pattern maybe?

I see no hairloss but if it's a strange pattern then it is probably alopecia areata.

rs173

Reaction score
Re: 20 years old - hair loss, but in a strange pattern maybe?

Yeah, shaving it short helps conceal it pretty well. Here's another picture where you can see it a bit better...

aA89Y.jpg

Keep in mind, part of the reason I keep it so short is so that it's not so obvious haha

Yeah, I'm torn between thinking it's AA and male pattern baldness. I think it could be both. I definitely show some of the same pattern that my dad has (high up with the little island in the front), but also some other stuff on the sides and in the back that he doesn't have.

If it's male pattern baldness, is there much I can do besides continue what I am doing? Min, finasteride, nizoral? If it's AA, what's the treatment for that?

csp18

Reaction score
I'm not a hair expert at all but....

It looks like you have a good head shape for the shaved look. For someone that might be losing their hair, that is a blessing in itself. Everyone can't pull it off.