RU 58841 - Mother of all Topicals any updates?

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the mother of all topical anti androgens. RU58841 is made by the Roussel Corporation of France. This stuff shuts down DHT at the hair follicle like nothing else. One of the major problems has been that anti androgens such as Spironolactone and Flutamide taken orally might be good for hair loss, but they cause all sorts of problems related to having low androgens in your body, such as loss of muscle, increased fat, loss of sex drive, gyno, etc.

When these same anti androgens have been used topically (put directly on the scalp) they do not cause the negative systemic side effects, but they did not seem to do much of anything for hair loss or growth either. Therefore, a topically active anti androgen without systemic effects would be highly desirable. RU58841 is a topical anti androgen that shuts down DHT at the follicle without any systemic side effects in the body!

This stuff is the best thing since the invention of the vibrator! Woops, did I actually say that aloud? Now for the bad news. RU58841 is not out for sale and probably won't be for quite some time. It is in the early stages of testing and I understand there are other reasons that it might be a long time until it hits the market.

I would tell you what those reasons are, but then I would have to kill you, and that would be bad for magazine sales...... Make no mistakes about it, RU58841 is the drug of choice for hair loss and would stop hair loss cold in conjunction with a good topical anti inflammatory. Through my secret source, I was told that the initial feelings about this stuff by the researchers who tested it was that it would probably even grow back a lot of hair for some people.

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice tease.

Its the best, but it won't come out for a couple more years.

I like that part the best.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
I suspect RU 58841 is not really all that it has been made out to be. It probably has some sides - it is after all a highly antiandrogenic substance that is rapidly metabolised into a weaker antiandrogen. It could be that levels of this weaker metabolite accumulate over time. I believe some of the people to try it here have reported sides. At any rate at least it has kept hairloss boards active over the years.
And in contrast to that quotes claims many antiandrogens applied topically will still give you side effects. And almost certainly save hair at the same time.
hh

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
harold said:
I suspect RU 58841 is not really all that it has been made out to be. It probably has some sides - it is after all a highly antiandrogenic substance that is rapidly metabolised into a weaker antiandrogen. It could be that levels of this weaker metabolite accumulate over time.

I really doubt that, because none of the animal studies have ever reported systemic effects from RU58841.

I agree with you, though, that it may not really be all that it's been made out to be, but I consider THAT to be a problem with the wild and unreasonable claims that so many RU58841 enthusiasts have made about it over the years. I think an accurate and reasonable expectation for it would be that it has a Propecia-like effectiveness, or possibly even a bit more effective than Propecia.