Salicylic Acid (acne wash) and the problem of redness

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Some guys can be bothered with lingering pinkness in the recipent area post surgery. I don't mean during the healing phase, that's normal and shouldn't be fretted over. I mean well beyond that phase.

Well I've stumbled over a potentially interesting idea, if this is an issue for you. Salicylic acid (as found in a common liquid face soap product, NOT talking about an undiluted pure form) might be helpful. I'm talking about products like Neutragena Acne Wash, and other brands (check the label for salicylic acid as active ingredient). Salicylic acid is the same ingredient as basic aspirin, and aspirin is anti-inflammatory. Redness is inflammation.

I still use acne wash on a daily basis to prevent breakouts (I've been blessed with bad skin). Lately I've been sudsing up my scalp too, when I wash my face. It's seemed to reduce some lingering pinkness, and evened out the skin tone on my scalp. I would follow the instructions (don't leave it on all day, duh) and also, wait until you are clearly post-op and well-healed. It's quite possible that your scalp could normalize on it's own (which is probably preferrable). If you are a year out from surgery and still have tell-tale pinkishness, then I think this idea is worth a try.

Also, this doesn't apply to other acne products which contain benzoyl peroxide (don't put that on your scalp, it can be irritating, exactly what you don't want).

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Another dirty little lie of the hair transplant industry. If a doctor tells you that you will have some redness or pinkness like a light sunburn for 10 to 14 days, run the other way. The redness will last a minimum of 3 months and more than likely 6 months or even over a year. It might begin to fade around three months but everyone will know you had something done.

Also, if they tell you that you can return to work the next day or two, again run the other way. Your face will swell like a balloon from the procedure around the 3rd day, often swelling your eyes shut. You will look like a grotesque monster.