SaveTheHair's story - 22 y/o, receding/thinning.

SaveTheHair

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster - LONG time lurker. Well.. I have been gradually losing hair since I was 16 years old. I remember that comment my hairdresser made to my mother word for word. "Keep an eye on his crown, it looks like it is starting to thin." I am now 22 years old and the thinning is no longer something I can ignore or hope fixes itself on it's own. I have read.. and read... and read throughout several forums and absorbed as much information as possible to help me make the best decision on how to combat my hair loss. I had an appointment with my doctor about a month ago and I was prescribed a 3 month supply of 1mg generic finasteride. She suggested we see how I respond and that I should check back in 3 months. I was excited knowing that I was finally doing something to tackle the root cause of the excess loss. I began taking the 1mg dosage every night before bed. I have read the countless forums regarding sexual side effects, brain fog, difficulty sleeping etc. but decided the risk was worth the reward after seeing what everyone else has achieved in this community. After a week or so into the medication I felt fine, nothing to complain about. About 2 weeks later, something didn't feel right down below. My erections weren't as strong as before - almost unobtainable, my penis felt as if it was shrunken and I wasn't obtaining morning or random erections anymore. Unsure if this was psychological or it was the beginning of side effects kicking in, I pulled chute, jumped off the meds and continued reading throughout the forums again. Another week or so went by and I started to notice everything slowly getting back to normal. I was experiencing quality erections, my penis felt full again and I had no problem with morning erections anymore. To be honest, sexual function is worth much more than a full head of hair at this point. However, I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to stop my hair loss and hopefully regrow, but I am not willing to put up with persistent side effects while on the medication that is proven to help do so. My questions are, do the side effects go away after your body begins to adjust to the meds? Would splitting the dosage to .5mg make a difference in the possibility of experiencing side effects? I should mention that I believe after looking at the Norwood Scale I am a NW3, possibly NW3V. I will upload some pictures later this evening so everyone can help gauge my loss and suggest the best way to deal with my situation. All the best to everyone in this forum! I look forward to your responses!

Cheers! :)

SaveTheHair

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of my hairline and crown. Let me know what you all think about jumping on .5mg of finasteride daily after what I experienced. I'm hoping I can hop on the 'BIG 3' and regrow/maintain.

Thanks!

[attachment=4:1j1j0jgj]Picture 001.jpg[/attachment:1j1j0jgj]

[attachment=3:1j1j0jgj]Picture 002.jpg[/attachment:1j1j0jgj]

[attachment=2:1j1j0jgj]Picture 003.jpg[/attachment:1j1j0jgj]

[attachment=1:1j1j0jgj]Picture 004.jpg[/attachment:1j1j0jgj]

[attachment=0:1j1j0jgj]Picture 005.jpg[/attachment:1j1j0jgj]

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 195

dboy

Reaction score
Don't mess with finasteride or propecia..man.. I took it for 3 -5 years..and i stopped...but i still got permanent impotence... I need drugs just to keep it going....that's just one of the bad side effects.....stick with rogaine ....

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
You are definitely going to want to use Rogaine ASAP. If I were you I would try Finasteride again and see what happens after 2-3 months. Many people here who experience side effects the first few weeks have them disappear.

SaveTheHair

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Would you recommend taking finasteride every other day like some users are doing? Cutting the dosage in half? Rogaine foam/liquid? Thanks again!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I started on finasteride @ .5mg a day (half a pill). Click on my profile and my "most comment on" topic to see my story.

SaveTheHair

Reaction score
Were you just cutting your finasteride in half with a razor blade or pill cutter? Also, where is everyone getting their rogaine from? I've got finasteride and nizoral, just need to add the foam and I'm all set to tackle this.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I used a pill cutter.

You can get a 4month supply from rogaindirect (go to rogaine.com and follow the links) for about $60. Or, check walmart.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I've seen your pics, and here is my advice: Jump on the meds. I see your hair indeed looks pretty thin around the temples and crown, but mostly I see hair thinning, not loss of amount hair perse. Minoxidil especially would give those thin hairs a big boost, and finasteride would stop further thinning.

But, don't be suprised if you experience a big shed (meaning, losing a lot of hairs before you regrow anything) that could make a drastic impact on how you look for the time the shed occurs. Not saying that sheds happen to everyone, but if it would happen to you- I personally think it'll be drastic. I myself have experienced it as well, still am, but my hair thinning is different than yours (receding hairline mostly, but not thinning hair on temples, but rather slick areas- and slight thinning on top which now imo looks worse than the hairline). So be aware for that (though, I personally take Dutasteride which might explain why my shed is so severe).

Final advice, if you decide to take the meds: stick with them!

SaveTheHair

Reaction score
So I took my first dose of finasteride again last night (.5 mg). A few questions in regards to my situation..

Is it a good idea to start all 3 at the same time or should I see what I achieve with finasteride and nizoral first? Is it normally expected to have a shed when using finasteride? minoxidil? When applying minoxidil should I be applying to my thinning areas only or my entire scalp?

Thanks for all of your replies!

Cheers.