Saw Pallmetto shed on receding hairline?

crissp

Reaction score
My question is in connection with a Receding Hairline. I am 29, my father and older brother have full heads of hair, so I looked at my mothers Father and brother and they both have a receding hairline. There receding hairline is not particularly bad but with all the products on the market I wanted to see if I am able to prevent it.
I looked at most of the prescription products and they say that they have no evidence that their products will work on this type of balding, but that you could try with no guarantee on results. So with no guarantee that it could work and with the price of the product and the side effects I did some more research. I came across Saw Palmetto … and decided there was nothing to loose in trying it … I have been taking it for a couple months and have started to shed a lot of hair, I noticed when applying hair products (wax, gels) that there would be a couple to a few strands of hair left on my hands, this did not happen before. I have read that there is a shedding phase when starting some hair treatment products. My concern is that my receding hairline is not bad, and taking these it is increased the shedding (can take months to grow that hair back) … should I continue to take it to prevent the progression of the receding hairline (if that saw palmetto works like these other products, it is not proven to work on the receding hairline) … so am I defeating the purpose? Thanks I appreciate your knowledge in this matter?

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saw palmetto is so mild it has no affect in almost anyone. I took it for 3 months..waste of time.

You need to look at finasteride. However not even that has helped me and my hair is still going.

Taking finasteride (propecia), nizoral shampoo, and maybe throwing in minoxidil foam if you wnat to go the big 3 is the way to go

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
so taking saw palmetto couldn't help propecia and your hair loss at all???? not even a little bit ?

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah it can help, im happy with saw palmetto, just take over 2000-4000mg a day

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
None of its worked for me so far...loss is faster than ever.

Saw Palmetto if you search on the forum has little or no effect for most. Propecia or finasteride though does have a good effect in a high percentage.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how effective Saw Palmetto is. Supposedly it can be effective for some people. Your increased shedding may be due to increased hairloss (aka male pattern baldness). I'd suggest hoping onto Rogaine Foam or something like Spectral DNC at the very least. In the past, I made the mistake of using ONLY a product named Shen Min (which contains Saw Palmetto) and it really didn't do anything to halt my hair loss. At the very least, add something else in addition to the Saw Palmetto that you are using.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
is 2000-4000 mg a day of saw palmetto safe ??????
and what is the reccomended dosage to get the best possible results if any ???

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry, off topic but does anyone know what a good copper peptide shampoo or topical is??????????

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
pinkfloyd7 said:
sorry, off topic but does anyone know what a good copper peptide shampoo or topical is??????????

Tricomin spray and Revita shampoo, READ ABOUT THOSE TWO.