Saw Palmetto and Biotin.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was researching alternative treatments because I can't use finasteride and these were the two that caught my eye. Saw Palmetto apparently acts in similar way to finasteride but it's natural, seems to have less side effects, is cheaper and available without a prescription. Sounds too good to be true? Possibly. Studies on both the effectiveness of treating male pattern baldness and the side effects of Saw Palmetto are still very limited but what research has been done is very positive.
Biotin is another product that maybe worth a try. Although this is very unproven a lot of people swear it has helped with hair loss and it's only a vitamin supplement with little or none potential side effects. It can't do any harm can it?

Has anyone tried either of these products? What are peoples opinion on them?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Biotin won't work for balding. Saw Palmetto is very, very weak.

If you really cannot to use Finasteride, a topical anti-androgen called RU58841 may be your best bet. It is an experimental treatment, so if you ever decide to use it, do so at your own risk. I do use it myself however with good results and have not encountered any issues.

I take Biotin, 10,000 mcg daily. I've never taken Saw Palmetto orally before.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Augustin, you take 10,000 daily, did you notice any side effects like acne?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score

If you really cannot to use Finasteride, a topical anti-androgen called RU58841 may be your best bet. It is an experimental treatment, so if you ever decide to use it, do so at your own risk. I do use it myself however with good results and have not encountered any issues.

Then, Why do you take biotin?

shookwun

Reaction score
Saw palmetto has zero documented effect on inhibiting DHT witin the scalp.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score

You say Saw Palmetto is very weak? Based on what? From what I've read the studies into the effectiveness of Saw Palmetto are a bit limited but what research has been done is very positive.

RU58841 is an interesting one. It seems to have some evidence that suggest it can work but as you say it's a experimental treatment; Ther's no real studies into the side effects so you're quite right to say you take it at your own risk. It's only available from a few places and could be expensive. Also, I'm from the UK so it could be extra difficult to obtain. Probably not for me but I am desperate so Ill keep it I mind.

james555

Reaction score
ive tried it, it works, but works best when used in a cycle, like 3 weeks on, and 3 weeks off. I don't know why. I discovered that accidently when I was doing it.

I don't use it anymore tho