Saw Palmetto Users Thread

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread is for those using Saw Palmetto so they can track their progress with it, discuss it, and exchange dosage information. There has been much debate on whether it really works or not, so perhaps this thread will provide some insight on its effectiveness.

So if you are currently on it... how long? progress?

Hopefully someone will start get the ball rolling!

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
I used it for 6 months (capsules of 300mg) and stopped losing hair, many say that it does not work with me but at least it worked well

The only side I had was mild pain in the testicles in the first days, but then the pain disappeared

Petchsky

Reaction score
I used it years ago in conjunction with the big 3 and felt my hair went darker, probably used it for 6 months along with stinging nettle and pygeum.

Whether it actually works or not i'm not sure, but some people report finasteride like side effects. It doesn't help though that saw palmetto is in quite a few snake oils, but I have seen a few posters over the years state they have had success with it, a few photos. There is one in the 'tell your own story' section somewhere on the first two pages if you feel like digging.

G

I am debating whether to add 300-400mg of Saw Palmetto in my regimen. I have yet to decide (hence why I said I am debating lol)

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saw Palmetto. This is a herbal DHT inhibitors, which is less expensive than prescription drugs and doesn't have side effects. It blocks the process, which converts testosterone into DHT, doing it in the more natural way than the prescription drugs.

How can Saw palmetto inhibit DHT yet produce no side effects?. Doesn't it do the exact same thing as Finasteride? Do people just make these claims because it is natural?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hey Goten, I'd rec some thing like this that is full of natural DHT inhibitors,

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... gnans.html

Decro - Yep, you're spot on. I've come across guys who have said saw palmetto works, those that said it didn't haelp, and those quit because they got finasteride like side effects. So, the only way of really knowing for sure is to try it yourself for 12 motnhs if possible.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ahh Petchsky ,that seems to be the way with everything. Thanks!

G

Petchsky said:
Hey Goten, I'd rec some thing like this that is full of natural DHT inhibitors,

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... gnans.html

Nice but very expensive!

decro435 said:
Saw Palmetto. How can Saw palmetto inhibit DHT yet produce no side effects?. Doesn't it do the exact same thing as Finasteride? Do people just make these claims because it is natural?

If Saw Palmetto works in the same way as finasteride and produces the same side effects, perhaps in some way, the side effects are less noticeable or less likely to happen. Why? Maybe because of a lower dosage? I don't know, just an idea

Even if you are just as likely to develop side effects from Saw Palmetto as you would if you take finasteride, I would rather take Saw because of the price. A bottle of Saw caps is much cheaper than finasteride!

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw Palmetto is like everything else in this area, works for some an not for others I feel. How much does seem to be relevant, although I think some manufacturers put more in just to be "better", without actually seeing if it works better, could purity and source be more important?

REF: Natural and therefore no side effects.

I hate in when people use "natural" to mean harmless, its just not true, look at the 1000s of poisonous plants and fungi, they're natural too! Look in all "treatments" for test results and evidence, it's the way forward.

A treatment can in theory do the same thing without the same side effects guys, side effects are a separate issue from efficacy, as they can come from many complex reactions between your body and the chemical aside from the one intended by the manufacturer. A good example being Aspirin and Paracetamol, both inhibit the same enzyme involved with pain sensitivity, and yet one screws your liver, the other gives you stomach ulcers, admittedly neither is pleasant, but what I mean is that sides are irrelevant to effect.