Saw Palmetto vs. Propecia

G

From the Revivogen site:

"Saw Palmetto Extract

Saw Palmetto has shown to effectively block the formation of DHT and is also believed to block the androgen receptors which are found on the hair follicles. Like GLA and ALA it also blocks Type 1 and Type 2 forms of 5 alpha-reductase and has shown to be more potent than Finasteride, the active ingredient of Propecia.

Publications

In the following studies Saw Palmetto extract was shown to inhibit both type 1 and 2 forms of 5 alpha-reductase (Finasteride or Propecia® only inhibits type 2), was more potent than Finasteride, and was able to effectively reduce binding of Testosterone and DHT to their receptors on various tissues. Please note that in the following studies Saw Palmetto Extract is referred to as Permixon or lipido-sterol extract of Serenoa repens (LSESr)

STUDY A: Human prostatic steroid 5 alpha-reductase isoforms--a comparative study of selective inhibitors:

http://revivogen.stores.yahoo.net/sp.html

STUDY B: Testosterone metabolism in primary cultures of human prostate epithelial cells and fibroblasts:

http://revivogen.stores.yahoo.net/sp.html#b

STUDY C: The effect of Permixon on androgen receptors:

http://revivogen.stores.yahoo.net/sp.html#c

How is it that the owner of this site is reputedly a fan of Revivogen, yet there are a significant number of people here saying Saw Palmetto "doesn't work"?

docj077

Reaction score
Erik D said:
How is it that the owner of this site is reputedly a fan of Revivogen, yet there are a significant number of people here saying Saw Palmetto "doesn't work"?

He isn't a biased idiot. The desire to keep this site open to any and all opinions is the reason that it is one of the few hair loss sites that thrives.

G

docj077 said:
Erik D said:

He isn't a biased idiot. The desire to keep this site open to any and all opinions is the reason that it is one of the few hair loss sites that thrives.

You misunderstand me... my point is, that with the number of people here talking bad about Saw Palmetto, and hyping up Propecia, here's a page from a site promoted by the owner of this forum we're on, and it says that Saw Palmetto is BETTER than Propecia.

How do you explain that?

G

bubka said:
has there anyone in the success stories section that has reported and shown results with revivogen???

I don't know. I don't promote Revivogen... the owner of this forum does.

I can't even find a detailed list of it's ingredients.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
stick with a proven treatment guy

abcdefg

Reaction score
saw palmetto is not nearly as strong as finasteride. i agree try 1 of the 2 proven treatments

G

is there any proof that saw palmetto helps at ALL with thinning hair? any legit studies? propecia has fda studies backing it, after all.

abcdefg

Reaction score
You can believe saw palmetto will make you fly for all I care go ahead and take it to try to stop your hair loss then. I already told you the facts no one can make you believe them.