Saw Palmetto

jay2K6

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) is an herbal DHT inhibitor which is cheaper than most commercial drugs and is claimed to have fewer side effects than finasteride and dutasteride. Unlike other 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, saw palmetto extract inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT without interfering with the cellular capacity to secrete PSA.[9] Saw palmetto extract has been demonstrated to inhibit both isoforms of alpha-5-reductase unlike finasteride which only inhibits the (predominant) type 2 isoenzyme of alpha-5-reductase.[10] [11] A preliminary study of saw palmetto extract for treating hair loss noted improvement in six of ten subjects. Dosages and the length of the study were not reported.

How come many people here don't take Saw Palmetto. Is this stuff weak to treat hair loss?

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
I have actually just started taking it this month along with propecia I have been taking since 1999. I don't know if that is overkill but there aren't any conclusive studies in my opinion that saw alone could supplement for propecia.

CCS

Reaction score
it is a weak 5ar inhibitor because it has some free fatty acids in it. most fatty acids in most oils are bonded to a glycerol. Pure fatty acids are better. Revivogen has them. I preffer to buy them cheaper from chemical companies, though, or make my own. I would not count on saw palmetto to do anything.