Saw palmetto

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
I used saw palmetto berry juice as a topical at the beginning of my treatment experiment. It grew some vellus! Then I added finasteride, nizoral, minoxidil and several months ago eucapil fluridil. I don't take saw palmetto any longer, as it would be much milder than the finasteride. If you don't want to take the drugs, saw palmetto may help to a mild degree, but I wouldn't rely upon it as a sole treatment. I gather one can become tolerant or sensitised to herbal treatments, so they become less effective. Hope this helps.

ugly_and_balding

Reaction score
Hey Boru, I took saw palmetto gel capsules for... quite a long time, not sure exactly. Probably 8 months or more.. maybe a year. I took high quality large daily doses. The side effects were minimal (no real problems). If I took too much all at once I'd get pain in my groin area, but it didn't last long. But, while I have no doubts that it is effective in the treatment of the prostate, the process involved seems to be different than finasteride or dutas, and doesn't seem to have any effect on hairloss, unfortunately. Now, I never tried a topical solution, so that COULD be worth trying. I only took the pill form. So my recommendation to you is to not waste time with taking SP supplements. Take something like finasteride and don't make the mistake I made. You could try the topical SP to the supplement your finasteride or dutas though. One thing you could try is buying gel caps of SP and then cutting them open and squeezing out the SP extract liquid from the caps and rubbing it on the scalp. Don't know if it would do anything, but you could try it. Just a warning, SP really smells bad. A bad belch after taking a bunch of gel caps of SP is really disgusting.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
ugly_and_balding said:
Hey Boru, I took saw palmetto gel capsules for... quite a long time, not sure exactly. Probably 8 months or more.. maybe a year. I took high quality large daily doses. The side effects were minimal (no real problems). If I took too much all at once I'd get pain in my groin area, but it didn't last long. But, while I have no doubts that it is effective in the treatment of the prostate, the process involved seems to be different than finasteride or dutas, and doesn't seem to have any effect on hairloss, unfortunately. Now, I never tried a topical solution, so that COULD be worth trying. I only took the pill form. So my recommendation to you is to not waste time with taking SP supplements. Take something like finasteride and don't make the mistake I made. You could try the topical SP to the supplement your finasteride or dutas though. One thing you could try is buying gel caps of SP and then cutting them open and squeezing out the SP extract liquid from the caps and rubbing it on the scalp. Don't know if it would do anything, but you could try it. Just a warning, SP really smells bad. A bad belch after taking a bunch of gel caps of SP is really disgusting.
Thanks for the info. The SP berry juice doesn't smell, so it could be worth a try. However, I use Eucapil, after ketoconazole (Nizoral), so and avoid wetting the scalp for that reason.
Boru