Saw the WORST piece on TV last night.

Meta-Monster!

Reaction score
Last night I was watching a 5-hour special on Global Warming and one of the experts taking part in the discussion was wearing an absolutely terrible piece. It was super-thick, jet-black and set to a NW0. The hairline didn't match with his temples and all the hair on his head (piece, sides, back included) was set to the exact same length. (Which I think makes it look like one is wearing, regardless if it really is their own hair or not). Additionally, the camera would occasionally do a close-up on him from a particular angle and you could completely see some sort of shine (tape?) right behind his hairline.

However, the worst part of it all was this. The guy totally though he was getting away with it. He had this smirk on his face the entire time that just screamed he was thinking "damn, don't I look good". Also, several times he was filmed debating with another expert (whom was balding as well), and the entire time he would just stare at the other guy's mildly balding head with a look of absolute disgust on his face. Oh, I'm shaking my head just remembering it.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to share.

CCS

Reaction score
dude. Don't judge all hair pieces by the ones you can easily spot. Those are the bad ones. Go to http://www.toplace.com and look at the forums there, and see the pics people post. Even those ones are bad because they guys don't do temple flaps, and they don't do custom pieces. Many of those guys don't understand that a template needs to be concave. They mail in flat templates with drawings on them. No wonder they don't do well. I bet they still look a lot better than that guy's.

I ordered from coolpiece because the hairs are smaller and closer to my size, and they use a lot more single strand. I read coolpiece lasts longer too, and always come with bleached knots unless you ask for them not to. But they cost almost $100 more.

If you want to risk a smaller amount, get a toplace at first. But just make sure to request all bleached knots, or you probably will not get them bleached.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
. I read coolpiece lasts longer too, and always come with bleached knots unless you ask for them not to. But they cost almost $100 more.

Frontal knots bleached: runs me an extra $5.00 from the factory....
Bleaching ALL knots doesn't make much sense and weakens the knots, resulting in a unit which doesn't hold up as well as one without. Most in the industry recommend bleaching only the knots in the front mesh area when using darker colored hair.

CCS

Reaction score
Well, then don't sit in a chair where someone might be standing behind you. I saw a top view pic from someone. Yeah, it was magnified, but I thought the grid pattern would be obvious even if it was not magnified. I'd rather replace my piece more often than be outed the first night I'm with a woman. But if you just want to look good to people you do business with, I don't think they'd ever see the knots from their angle.

Meta-Monster!

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
dude. Don't judge all hair pieces by the ones you can easily spot. Those are the bad ones. Go to http://www.toplace.com and look at the forums there, and see the pics people post.

Oh, I'm aware of this. Trust me, I'm extremely cautious about not taking a single experience and using it as a prototype to overgeneralize about anything.

In spite of what I posted, I don't even care that the guy in question was wearing a bad piece. What did bother me thought was:

1) His behavior suggested he thought everyone else was oblivious to his wearing. (Granted, I'm mind-reading into this somewhat).

2) His obvious display of disgust for another human being who suffered from the exact same condition he did. (This particularly makes me wonder just how he must have handled his own progression into the higher Norwoods. Probably not very well).

And I completely agree with you about bleaching all of the knots. I don't what to stand behind you someday and be distracted by the obvious grid I can see on the back of your head ;) Seriously though, good info.

CCS

Reaction score
it is scary that he did not know how obvious his was. Makes me worry because even i did not know how obvious my dermmatch was, or my grafts were.