Scalp Pain, Shedding, Dandruff after starting Propecia

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
I am 25 and started taking Propecia around 6/06 to mainly maintain the hair I had. I had recession at the temples and slight thinning up top, so I figured Propecia wasn't going to do much for me except maintain. I experienced some major shedding (which I stuck through because of all the comments on this site saying that this is a good reaction to the drug), however I also developed scalp pain (burning sensation all over and piercing pain), itchiness, and dandruff, all of which i never had a problem before.

I started then on Nizoral 1% then 2% and T/Gel. However, I still continue to have these symptoms after 2 months of use.

I think I notice my scalp being a bit more oily, however I don't really remember it being less before and my scalp pain might be making me more aware of the oiliness.

I stopped using Propecia (1mg/day) after 3 months because I read that all the symptoms I was having, were common symptoms people had who were balding before starting Propecia and Propecia should have calmed these symptoms if anything.

So, I have recently noticed some regrowth, although it isn't necessarily thicker or healthier and I decided to pick up Propecia again. However, upon starting it again, I have the ressurgence of symptoms.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may happening and whether or not it is advisable to continue the use of Propecia?