Scared that minoxidil will replace current thickish hair with thinner ones?

thefielddrummer

Reaction score
Hi there I'm Ben I decided to join the forum and seek some advice...

I have been to my local hospital to confirm that I am a diffuse thinner, they advised I start on minoxidil 5% solution for my longish hair and also propecia.

Now after putting it off for nearly a year, I've decided to take the plunge!
My hair looks fine when it's dry and styled but when wet it looks dreadful and when it needs washing the thinning is more noticable!
I'm 26.

Basically my concern currently after reading may posts is....

I have a decent amount of hairs left and theres no bald patches yet, so I'm worried that if I were to start minoxidil that it would wipe out my thicker hairs and start to replace them with new thinner ones! SO in theory helping out by spurting new hairs but replacing thicker more manageable ones with the new 'minoxidil thinner ones'. Could someone PLEASE advise me on what I should do?
Thanks
Ben

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention if you actually started propecia?
Both treatments affected the thickness of my hair, but it's hard to judge whether this was for the better or worse as there was also concurrent new growth.

If you are generally happy with your hair then why not stick with finasteride for now and only add in minoxidil if you still felt you were losing hair after a year or so.

Once you start minoxidil you must stay on it for life - I would apply it once a day only at night as a maintenance dose.

What other choice have you got? You may not have those thick hairs left anyway after a few years.

thefielddrummer

Reaction score
Hi mate I've not started on anything as yet! I'm just about to take the plunge!
I'm just concerned that I have hairs that still are managable and if I start on minoxidil that it may take away what I have left and replace them with thinner ones! Basically swapping decent ish ones for unmanageable ones. Such a hard decision to make!

TinTin

Reaction score
Assuming you're talking about Rogain, why would you put it on your thick hair???

From my knowledge, minoxidil does not effect thick healthy hair, only dead/dying hair.

thefielddrummer

Reaction score
Hi my hair isn't as thick as it used to be! If I don't style my hair you can see its thinning! I'm just scared the initial shed will start to take away large patches and replace them with even thinner hairs?
Ben

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mmmm...some people will shed and some not when they start new treatments ..you will never know how your hair will respond unless you try it yourself..Good luck!

Jens1986

Reaction score
I have a decent amount of hairs left and theres no bald patches yet, so I'm worried that if I were to start minoxidil that it would wipe out my thicker hairs and start to replace them with new thinner ones! SO in theory helping out by spurting new hairs but replacing thicker more manageable ones with the new 'minoxidil thinner ones'. Could someone PLEASE advise me on what I should do?
Thanks
Ben

Thick hairs replaced with thinner hairs is what will happen if u DONT start your treatment.