Screamin J's Story - (22 y/o) Added Pics!)

Screamin J

Reaction score
Hallo there. First off, thanks for reading my story. I've been lurking these boards for the past two months now. Lots of good information and inspiration here. Anyway, I'm a 22 year old male who just noticed my hair loss about two months ago. At first I wasn't positive that I was losing my hair but after browsing these forums and taking a good long look at my hair I'd say I'm 99% sure I'm losing it. As far as baldness in my family, my dad started thinning I'd say anywhere from his late 20's to 40's. I know, it's a large gap but my parents have been divorced since I was an infant and I rarely ever see my dad, so it's hard for me to tell. My uncle (dad's brother) has thinning hair. Don't know when he's started either but I do know that he uses minoxidil and probably finasteride as well. So at the very least he's maintained pretty well. My grandfather on my dad's side is totally bald on top, but he's 90 or 91 and I'd say he probably started losing it all in his 80's because as far as I can remember he's always had a full head of hair or at least decent hair. Now on to my mother's side. First of all, I inherited a very high hairline from my great grandmother. My mom has it, my uncle has it, but not quite as bad as I inherited it. I mean ever since I was born, I never had a NW1 hairline. It was more like NW2-3 but it was thick and full and I accepted that that was my natural hairline. Anyways, my uncle on my mom's side has always had good hair. He's just starting to lose some in the front now and he's in his 50's. My grandfather is thinning and has lost some hair but from what I know he had thick and full hair in his youth and probably didn't start losing it till I'd say at least his 50's. Ok, now onto me. Like I said, I've always had a very high hairline and from age 14-21 I've died my hair every color of the rainbow, including bleaching it, which can't be good for your hair. Oh, and I probably live the most unhealthy lifestyle ever. I mean there was never a time in my life where I've ate a healthy diet. Always had a bad sleep schedule, especially since graduating highschool. No excercise at all. Pretty much bad hygiene. Drinking alcohol a lot and for the past six years I've been smoking tons of weed daily.To top that off I have OCD tendencies and stress issues. In fact about 7-9 months ago I went through an extremely stressful time. I was having anxiety attacks and heart palpitations. Since then I've got considerably better and the anxiety attacks and palpitations have stopped. So about two months ago I was running my hand through my hair and started wondering why my hair wasn't as thick and full at the vertex. After some observation with mirrors I noticed (with horror) that my crown was thinner than the rest of my hair. Now, I have always been told I had lots of cowlicks in that area so at first I thought that maybe that was the reason it seems thinner. After reading around these boards and then observing my hair wet I can say I'm pretty much sure I'm starting to thin there. So that was it, I thought I had some minor thinning in the crown. How I wish that was the case! More recently I've noticed my hairline and temples receding, frontal thinning expanding towards the back of my head and basically the hair on my entire head has somewhat thinned, including the sides and back (which I thought were supposed to be "good" hair) At least I think so. Like I said, I have OCD so I could just be imagining that it's worse than it is. I still have good coverage and you probably wouldn't know I'm going bald unless I told you (I wear my hair long to cover my receding hairline) But just from looking at pictures of me a few months ago compared to now I can tell that I've lost density. Plus the miniturized hair I get from running my fingers through my hair is a giveaway. Man...I am so bummed right now :( The thought of going bald at such a young age is truly mortifying. At times I feel like maybe it's not so bad. There are people with far worse problems in the world and if all else fails I could always wear a piece. Then there are times when I just loose it and want to cry. The thing I worry about most is how am I ever going to find a significant other if I'm bald or wearing a piece in my twenties? I don't think I'd ever be able to rock the shaved head, as skinny white guys with odd shaped heads don't look good bald. On a brighter note, I have an appointment with the derm for this coming Tuesday so at least I can have my situation diagnosed and hopefully I'll respond well to the meds. Another thing is, I'm scared to get on the meds. From what I've read on these forums the big 3 have really helped some people while it has made other's situation considerably worse and they never got back to baseline. Also, can meds help if I'm thinning all over my head (sides and back too)? I don't have a camera so sorry for not posting any pics. I'll look into getting one soon so I can keep you posted and moniter my situation. Sorry for the novel sized post. Any advice or encouragment is welcomed. Thanks guys. :)

Screamin J

Reaction score
Re: Wish me luck! - J's Story (22 y/o)

Well, I borrowed a camera from a friend and took some pics. Please tell me what you think, as I'd like to read your opinions before I go to the derm on Tuesday.

31e0c8d9.jpg

28f119b3.jpg

3a0591f9.jpg

e1df9649.jpg

ea9481c0.jpg

a58cc385.jpg

9fb05db0.jpg

Sorry if the pics are too big. I tried resizing them but they still show up quite large.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Re: Wish me luck! - J's Story (22 y/o) Added Pics!

Don't worry I am going through the same thing you are too. The good thing is by most people's definition (unless they are going bald too) male pattern baldness is when your hairline is something like Bruce Willis or worse. I will be honest though, don't have super high expectation about your hairline as that (depending on how long male pattern baldness has started) might be the best it gets. To be honest, I would reccommend Finasteride/Proscar (also known as propecia) and see how it does six to eight months from now. Keep in mind though, stress can accelerate hair loss, if I had known this, trust me I would be in a lot better position. So try and live a stress-free (or less stressful) lifestyle and get plenty of exercise along with eating right and that might not help your hair loss it will defientley help you mentally.

Screamin J

Reaction score

Hey, thanks for the reply Obsidian. I'm guessing Finasteride is what the derm will prescribe as well. I'm thinking about adding minoxidil to the equation though, as I'd like to get the best possible results. I'm just curious as to why you'd only suggest finasteride. Thanks :)

Obsidian

Reaction score

The reason I only suggested finasteride is because I would wait on the finasteride first to see how you respond. Plus just like finasteride is a lifelong committment (if you want to maintain/keep the hair you might grow) so is minoxidil plus it is a mess to add. Another is while a lot of people here mention going full-force. You might experience a terrible shed in which case you might not know whether the minoxidil or finasteride is causing it resulting in your hair loss getting even worse. I suggest if you want to add on is to use Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo (2% seems to be the status-quo but you will need a perscription and if you have a sensitive scalp like me 1% is better) two to three times a week which works well even if you don't have hair loss.

Good luck in which ever decision you decide to make.

Screamin J

Reaction score

So I went to the dermotologist this week. He seems to think that my hair loss is stress related or that perhaps it's the result of some issue with my thyroid. He basically told me to get blood work done, take it easy and come back in 4 weeks.

The thing is I can clearly see miniturization along my hairline and even the hairs I am shedding from all over the top are miniturized (I'm also shedding thick healthy hairs as well) I always thought hair loss due to stress is just a generalized shedding of healthy hairs; no miniturization. Can someone please shed some light. My hair loss seems to be getting worse by the day and I feel so helpless sitting around doing nothing for 4 weeks while my hair loss is probably getting worse :(