Screw Virile Mane, Hot peppers and Soybeans are the way togo

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Administration of capsaicin and isoflavone promotes hair growth by increasing insulin-like growth factor-I production in mice and in humans with alopecia.

Harada N, Okajima K, Arai M, Kurihara H, Nakagata N.

Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) plays an important role in hair growth. Capsaicin activates vanilloid receptor-1, thereby increasing the release of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) from sensory neurons, and CGRP has been shown to increase IGF-I production. We recently reported that isoflavone, a phytoestrogen, increases production of CGRP by increasing its transcription in sensory neurons. These observations raise the possibility that administration of capsaicin and isoflavone might promote hair growth by increasing IGF-I production. In the present study, we examined this possibility in mice and humans with alopecia. DESIGN: Dermal IGF-I levels, immunohistochemical expression of IGF-I in the skin and hair regrowth were examined after capsaicin and isoflavone administration to wild-type (WT) mice and CGRP-knockout mice. Plasma levels of IGF-I and promotion of hair growth were evaluated in 48 volunteers with alopecia after administration of capsaicin and isoflavone for 5 months. RESULTS: Subcutaneous administration of capsaicin significantly increased dermal IGF-I levels at 30 min after administration in WT mice (p < 0.01), but not in CGRP-knockout mice. Dermal levels of IGF-I were significantly higher in WT mice administered capsaicin and isoflavone for 4 wks than in those administered capsaicin alone for 4 wks (p < 0.01) and in those administered neither of them (p < 0.01). Immunohistochemical expression of IGF-I at dermal papillae in hair follicles was increased in WT mice administered capsaicin and isoflavone and in those administered capsaicin alone at 4 wks. Hair regrowth was clearly more accelerated in WT mice administered capsaicin and isoflavone for 4 wks than in those administered capsaicin alone for 4 wks and in those administered neither of them. Plasma levels of IGF-I were significantly increased from baseline levels in 31 volunteers with alopecia at 5 months after oral administration of capsaicin (6 mg/day) and isoflavone (75 mg/day) (p < 0.01), while they were not increased in 17 volunteers with alopecia administered placebo. The number of volunteers with alopecia who showed promotion of hair growth at 5 months after administration was significantly higher among volunteers administered capsaicin and isoflavone (20/31: 64.5%) than among those administered placebo (2/17: 11.8%) (p < 0.01). CONCLUSIONS: These observations strongly suggested that combined administration of capsaicin and isoflavone might increase IGF-I production in hair follicles in the skin, thereby promoting hair growth. Such effects of capsaicin and isoflavone might be mediated by sensory neuron activation in the skin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoyable read, and the Capsaicin (secondary metabolite of chilli peppers) is actually better then the Rasperry Ketone in virlane mane (which is similiar to capsaicin). Isoflavone cant be extracted from soybeans.

Does anyone know where I can get pure extract off these compounds? I want to give this a try after reading alot on the Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1) pathways. Although they do it orally in this study I also read it can be absorbed throught into the dermal papilla.

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Staying on the topic of IGF-1 pathways, I also found this interesting article;

Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 enhances the expression of alkaline phosphatase and insulin-like growth factor-1 in human primary dermal papilla cell culture and maintains mouse hair bulbs in organ culture.

Yamauchi K, Kurosaka A.

Dermal papilla (DP) at the hair follicle base is important for hair growth. Recent studies demonstrated that mouse vibrissa DP cells can be cultured in the presence of fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2), but lose expression of versican and their follicle-inducing activity during the culture, and that activation of the Wnt signal, which is inhibited by glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3), in the DP cells promotes hair growth activity. We therefore investigated the influence of a GSK-3 inhibitor, (2'Z,3'E)-6-bromoindirubin-3'-oxime (BIO), on the growth of human DP cells and mouse vibrissa follicles in culture. We first demonstrated that, similarly to mouse DP cells, human DP cells were able to be cultured up to 15 passages in the presence of FGF-2, and lost the expression of alkaline phosphatase (ALP). When human DP cells later than ten passages were treated with BIO, the expression of ALP as well as insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), another DP marker, was significantly elevated. Nuclear and perinuclear translocation of beta-catenin was also observed. We then cultured mouse vibrissa follicles. In the presence of BIO, the follicles could be maintained for at least 3 days without detectable regression of the hair bulbs. The morphology and ALP expression were well preserved. BIO successfully retrieved the expression of DP marker molecules, such as ALP and IGF-1 in cultured human DP cells, and maintained mouse hair bulbs. Thus, treatment with BIO may be useful to prepare DP cells with hair follicle-inducing activity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately you cant use (BIO) in vivo. It's quite the irritant. I need someone who knows more chemistry to see if there is a more stable form.

Aparrently Lithium also acts as inhibitor to GSK-3 but not as strongly or selectivley. Anyone else use lithium on their scalp?

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know where I can buy some Rasberry Ketone in canada, if I can't find any Capsaicin extract

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Also you can actually buy the IGF-1 proteins...which would be awesome if they werent so expensive.

http://www.abcam.com/IGF1-protein-ab9573.html

I should see if i can get some invitro Androgenetic Alopecia human dermal papilla cells and treat them with
1. PDGF (platelet-dervied growth factor) for mitogen (new cell growth) in serum
2. IGF-1 Proteins (For cell differentiation)
3. (2'Z,3'E)-6-bromoindirubin-3'-oxime (BIO) (To inhibit GSK-3 which inhibits wnt proteins and FGF-2)
4. Finasteride (antiandrogen, inhibits type II 5-alpha reductase)

If that didnt grow hair, or stop cell apoptosis I don't know what would. Your hair should stay in the antigen phase forever. This sh*t needs to get tested.

CCS

Reaction score
If you are going to go the oral route, spironolactone would save hair more, and have more side effects. Topical is better.