Second bout of shedding!

ODPaterson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.

I began to notice hairloss at the vertex area when I was 17 and it's been pretty hard going for the past three years or so. I'm 20 now and I started 0.5mg of finasteride just over a year ago. 6 months into the finasteride treatment I the hair loss stopped but I wanted to regrow some more so I began a typical regimen of generic 5% minoxidil along side and (after the usual initial minoxidil shed) that's when I saw some pretty awesome results! 2 months in it was looking noticeably thicker all over.

I was delighted, It looked as if I had finally found a way of fending of hairloss. 5 months after starting the minoxidil and I had gone from a Norwood 3-4 to barely noticable thinning at the vertex and even some definite regrowth at the hairline. All the while barely a single hair on the pillow in the shower or on the comb.

Nearly two months ago though, I started losing hair again. Nothing in my regimen has changed at all. My diet, if anything, has got a little better. I was a little stressed due to university deadlines, but that was nearly a month ago and now I'm not really stressed at all.

Everything in my regimen is the same yet on a bad day I now seem to be losing 200-300 hairs! Is it really possible that after such a positive reaction to this treatment my body has suddenly and abruptly decided not to respond any more? At the moment, my hair still looks good. There doesn't seem to be much visual difference, it might be a little thinner-looking but all the same it could be paranoia.

Pretty freaked out all the same! Any enlightenment is very welcome :)

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no reason to believe that the treatments aren't working for you anymore, especially if they have worked so well before. It seems we're going through occasional sheds while on treatments. I'm going through a shed now too.

I keep telling people to look through the success stories, especially SE-Freak and RSR39. They have shedded a lot throughout, and have had wonderful results!

I hope this is what we are experiencing... good luck and keep the faith.

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
KEEP YOUR REGIMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I am sure the shedding is for good !

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
going thru VERY similar thing myself - started finasteride at the very end of 2010, been shedding again for... i dunno now- 2 months maybe? it's horrible. all we can do is hope brother.
take care