Seeing your own hair and monitoring regrowth

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. When I view my own hair in a mirror, I mostly see the front hairline tangentially. As a result, my hair has thinned considerably without my even being aware it was happening. Even now that I am aware I am balding, as I am trying to monitor the results of treatment, I don't have a way of getting a good view of the top of my scalp, especially the vertex and crown. I still have enough hair left that when viewed tangentially, the hair I have obscurs my view of any regrowth. If I could look directly down on it, the existing hair would not obscur the view so much. When I ask my wife to look at it, she gives me a look like I'm crazy (maybe she's right), and doesn't appear to interested and helpful with regards to this.

Anybody have any methods for viewing your own crown and vertex scalps (those of you with still enough hair in that area to otherwise make this more difficult?

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
just use a small mirror while your looking in your bathroom mirror while holding it face down over the top of your head.. or you can use a camera to take pictures from the top (preferably digital).

G

two mirrors, I think this method was worked out a couple of hundred years, c'mon asolof keep up.

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in the movie Legend Tom Cruise wasn't trying to kill the devil with all those mirrors, just letting him know if he had a bald spot.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
VOVVIE

Thanks for the tip. I had tried this before, but the small mirror I used was only 2-3 inches in diameter and didn't work well. I used a larger 2nd mirror this time and this worked much better. It is still not ideal. It will be sufficient for an overall view of the area. I have to work on improving the lighting on the top of the head and with my presbiopia and my progressive lense glasses, it is difficult to view this in focus. Also, my hands always are moving in the wrong direction as I am disoriented viewing this via 2 mirrors. Perhaps a circular mirror of about 6 - 8 " in diameter with a circular peripheral light and a magnifying lense in front of the mirror would work better for searching for small details like early hair regrowth.

G

If you've got wonky eyes I would go for a cheap digital stills camera plugged into your computer or TV
some have a S-Video output but I am not sure about the American NTSC signal

with this set up you can position the camera above your head (prehaps on a tripod) and watch the screen at the same time, you don't have to actually take a picture as the on screen image is live (constantly updating).

two mirrors are cheaper.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
If you have one of those medicine cabinet/mirror setups. Replace it with one of those three way mirror/ medicine cabinets. Angle the left and right mirrors and your golden.

G

BadHairDecade said:
If you have one of those medicine cabinet/mirror setups. Replace it with one of those three way mirror/ medicine cabinets. Angle the left and right mirrors and your golden.

BHD, ever seen a doppleganger mirror ? scary stuff !!!!

guy38

Reaction score
FWIW the same thing happened to me only I first found out playing with a camcorder and found where my vertex was starting to thin. Yes it was shocking that it could appear without me even knowing but it did. I started taking pictures right away with digital camera and that way I could see that the spot was still appearing with minoxidil but not until finasteride. did it reverse.
Get a camera and you can track your vertex condition over time
Good luck to ya..

asolof said:
This may sound stupid, but I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. When I view my own hair in a mirror, I mostly see the front hairline tangentially. As a result, my hair has thinned considerably without my even being aware it was happening. Even now that I am aware I am balding, as I am trying to monitor the results of treatment, I don't have a way of getting a good view of the top of my scalp, especially the vertex and crown. I still have enough hair left that when viewed tangentially, the hair I have obscurs my view of any regrowth. If I could look directly down on it, the existing hair would not obscur the view so much. When I ask my wife to look at it, she gives me a look like I'm crazy (maybe she's right), and doesn't appear to interested and helpful with regards to this.

Anybody have any methods for viewing your own crown and vertex scalps (those of you with still enough hair in that area to otherwise make this more difficult?